29 CFR 4041A.24 - Annual plan valuations and monitoring.
(a) Annual valuation. The plan sponsor shall determine or cause to be determined in writing the value of nonforfeitable benefits under the plan and the value of the plan's assets, in accordance with part 4281, subpart B. This valuation shall be done not later than 150 days after the end of the plan year in which the plan terminates and each plan year thereafter except as provided in this paragraph. A plan year for which a valuation is performed is called a valuation year.
(1) If the value of nonforfeitable benefits for the plan is $25 million or less as determined for a valuation year, the plan sponsor may use the valuation for the next two plan years and, subject to paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, perform a new valuation pursuant to this paragraph for the third plan year after the previous valuation year.
(2) No valuation is required for a plan year for which the plan receives financial assistance from PBGC under section 4261 of ERISA.
(3) No valuation is required for the plan year in which the plan is closed out in accordance with subpart D of this part.
(b) Plan monitoring. Upon receipt of the valuation described in paragraph (a) of this section, the plan sponsor shall determine whether the value of nonforfeitable benefits exceeds the value of the plan's assets, including claims for withdrawal liability owed to the plan. When benefits do exceed assets, the plan sponsor shall -
(1) If the plan provides benefits subject to reduction, amend the plan to reduce those benefits in accordance with the procedures in part 4281, subpart C, of this chapter to the extent necessary to ensure that the plan's assets are sufficient to discharge when due all of the plan's obligations with respect to nonforfeitable benefits; or
(2) If the plan provides no benefits subject to reduction, make periodic determinations of plan solvency in accordance with § 4041A.25.
(c) Notices of benefit reductions. The plan sponsor of a plan that has been amended to reduce benefits shall provide participants and beneficiaries and the PBGC notice of the benefit reduction in accordance with § 4281.32.