30 CFR § 1202.353 - Measurement standards for reporting and paying royalties and direct use fees.
(a) For geothermal resources used to generate electricity, you must report the quantity on which royalty is due on Form ONRR-2014 (Report of Sales and Royalty Remittance) as follows:
(1) Millions of Btu to the nearest whole million Btu if valuation is in terms of heat or thermal energy used or displaced;
(2) Millions of gallons to the nearest million gallons of geothermal fluid produced if valuation or fee calculation is in terms of volume;
(3) Millions of pounds to the nearest million pounds of geothermal fluid produced if valuation or fee calculation is in terms of mass; or
(4) Any other measurement unit ONRR approves for valuation and reporting purposes.
(c) For byproducts, you must report the quantity on which royalty is due on Form ONRR-2014 consistent with ONRR-established reporting standards.
(d) For commercially demineralized water, you must report the quantity on which royalty is due on Form ONRR-2014 in hundreds of gallons to the nearest hundred gallons.
(e) You need not report the quality of geothermal resources, including byproducts, to ONRR. However, you must maintain quality measurements for audit purposes. Quality measurements include, but are not limited to:
(1) Temperatures and chemical analyses for fluid geothermal resources; and
(2) Chemical analyses, weight percent, or other purity measurements for byproducts.