31 CFR 321.2 - Eligible organizations.
(a) Organizations eligible to apply for qualification and to serve as paying agents are commercial banks, trust companies, savings banks, savings and loan associations, building and loan associations (including cooperative banks), credit unions, cash depositories, industrial banks, or similar financial institutions which:
(1) Are incorporated under Federal law or the laws of a State, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico;
(2) In the usual course of business accept, subject to withdrawal, funds for desposit or the purchase of shares;
(3) Are under the supervision of a federal or state regulatory agency or equivalent authority; and
(4) Maintain regular offices for the transaction of business.
(b) An organization that desires to redeem securities must first qualify as a paying agent. An organization that has qualified and is serving as a paying agent must:
(1) Submit redeemed securities directly to a Federal Reserve Processing Site in accordance with the Federal Reserve Operating Circular; and
(2) Have the ability to receive payment of applicable fees by ACH, or arrange to obtain one or more of these services from another financial institution.