32 CFR 1900.02 - Definitions.
For purposes of this part, the following terms have the meanings indicated:
(a) Agency or CIA means the United States Central Intelligence Agency acting through the CIA Information and Privacy Coordinator;
(b) Days means calendar days when the Agency is operating and specifically excludes Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays. Three (3) days may be added to any time limit imposed on a requester by this part if responding by U.S. domestic mail; ten (10) days may be added if responding by international mail;
(c) Control means ownership or the authority of the CIA pursuant to federal statute or privilege to regulate official or public access to records;
(d) Coordinator means the CIA Information and Privacy Coordinator who serves as the Agency manager of the information review and release program instituted under the Freedom of Information Act;
(e) Direct costs means those expenditures which an agency actually incurs in the processing of a FOIA request; it does not include overhead factors such as space; it does include:
(2) Reproduction means generation of a copy of a requested record in a form appropriate for release;
(3) Review means all time expended in examining a record to determine whether any portion must be withheld pursuant to law and in effecting any required deletions but excludes personnel hours expended in resolving general legal or policy issues; it also means personnel hours of professional time;
(4) Search means all time expended in looking for and retrieving material that may be responsive to a request utilizing available paper and electronic indices and finding aids; it also means personnel hours of professional time or the dollar value equivalent in computer searches;
(f) Expression of interest means a written communication submitted by a member of the public requesting information on or concerning the FOIA program and/or the availability of documents from the CIA;
(g) Federal agency means any executive department, military department, or other establishment or entity included in the definition of agency in 5 U.S.C. 552(f);
(h) Fees means those direct costs which may be assessed a requester considering the categories established by the FOIA; requesters should submit information to assist the Agency in determining the proper fee category and the Agency may draw reasonable inferences from the identity and activities of the requester in making such determinations; the fee categories include:
(1) Commercial means a request in which the disclosure sought is primarily in the commercial interest of the requester and which furthers such commercial, trade, income or profit interests;
(2) Non-commercial educational or scientific institution means a request from an accredited United States educational institution at any academic level or institution engaged in research concerning the social, biological, or physical sciences or an instructor or researcher or member of such institutions; it also means that the information will be used in a specific scholarly or analytical work, will contribute to the advancement of public knowledge, and will be disseminated to the general public;
(3) Representative of the news media refers to any person actively gathering news for an entity that is organized and operated to publish or broadcast news to the public. The term “news” means information that is about current events or that would be of current interest to the public. Examples of news media entities include television or radio stations broadcasting to the public at large, and publishers of periodicals (but only in those instances when they can qualify as disseminators of “news”) who make their products available for purchase or subscription by the general public. These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Moreover, as traditional methods of news delivery evolve (e.g., electronic dissemination of newspapers through telecommunications services), such alternative media would be included in this category. In the case of “freelance” journalists, they may be regarded as working for a news organization if they can demonstrate a solid basis for expecting publication through that organization, even though not actually employed by it. A publication contract would be the clearest proof, but agencies may also look to the past publication record of a requestor in making this determination:
(4) All other means a request from an individual not within paragraph (h)(1), (2), or (3) of this section;
(i) Freedom of Information Act or “FOIA” means the statutes as codified at 5 U.S.C. 552;
(j) Interested party means any official in the executive, military, congressional, or judicial branches of government, United States or foreign, or U.S. Government contractor who, in the sole discretion of the CIA, has a subject matter or physical interest in the documents or information at issue;
(k) Originator means the U.S. Government official who originated the document at issue or successor in office or such official who has been delegated release or declassification authority pursuant to law;
(l) Potential requester means a person, organization, or other entity who submits an expression of interest;
(m) Reasonably described records means a description of a document (record) by unique identification number or descriptive terms which permit an Agency employee to locate documents with reasonable effort given existing indices and finding aids;
(n) Records or agency records means all documents, irrespective of physical or electronic form, made or received by the CIA in pursuance of federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business and appropriate for preservation by the CIA as evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the CIA or because of the informational value of the data contained therein; it does not include:
(1) Books, newspapers, magazines, journals, magnetic or printed transcripts of electronic broadcasts, or similar public sector materials acquired generally and/or maintained for library or reference purposes; to the extent that such materials are incorporated into any form of analysis or otherwise distributed or published by the Agency, they are fully subject to the disclosure provisions of the FOIA;
(2) Index, filing, or museum documents made or acquired and preserved solely for reference, indexing, filing, or exhibition purposes; and
(3) Routing and transmittal sheets and notes and filing or destruction notes which do not also include information, comment, or statements of substance;
(o) Responsive records means those documents (i.e., records) which the Agency has determined to be within the scope of a FOIA request.
Title 32 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 32 CFR Part 1900.