32 CFR 507.3 - Explanation of abbreviations and terms.
(1) AFB - Air Force Base.
(2) DA - Department of the Army.
(3) DCSPER - Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel.
(4) DSCP - Defense Supply Center Philadelphia.
(5) DUI - distinctive unit insignia.
(6) ROTC - Reserve Officers' Training Corps.
(7) SSI - shoulder sleeve insignia.
(8) TIOH - The Institute of Heraldry.
(9) USAF - United States Air Force.
(b) Terms -
(1) Cartoon. A drawing six times actual size, showing placement of stitches, color and size of yarn and number of stitches.
(2) Certificate of authority to manufacture. A certificate assigning manufacturers a hallmark and authorizing manufacture of heraldic items.
(3) Hallmark. A distinguishing mark consisting of a letter and numbers assigned to certified manufacturers for use in identifying manufacturers of insignia.
(4) Heraldic items. All items worn on the uniform to indicate unit, skill, branch, award or identification and a design has been established by TIOH on an official drawing.
(5) Letter of agreement. A form signed by manufacturers before certification, stating that the manufacturer agrees to produce heraldic items in accordance with specific requirements
(6) Letter of authorization. A letter issued by TIOH that authorizes the manufacture of a specific heraldic item after quality assurance inspection of a preproduction sample.
(7) Tools. Hubs, dies, cartoons, and drawings used in the manufacture of heraldic items.