33 CFR 155.1062 - Inspection and maintenance of response resources.
(a) The owner or operator of a vessel required to submit a response plan under this part must ensure that -
(1) Containment booms, skimmers, vessels, and other major equipment listed or referenced in the plan are periodically inspected and maintained in good operating condition, in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations and best commercial practices; and
(2) All inspections and maintenance are documented and that these records are maintained for 3 years.
(b) For equipment which must be inspected and maintained under this section the Coast Guard may -
(1) Verify that the equipment inventories exist as represented;
(2) Verify the existence of records required under this section;
(3) Verify that the records of inspection and maintenance reflect the actual condition of any equipment listed or referenced; and
(4) Inspect and require operational tests of equipment.
(c) This section does not apply to containment booms, skimmers, vessels, and other major equipment listed or referenced in the plan and ensured available through the written consent of an oil spill removal organization, as described in the definition of “contract or other approved means” at § 155.1020.