33 CFR 155.320 - Fuel oil and bulk lubricating oil discharge containment.
(a) A ship of 300 gross tons or more constructed after June 30, 1974 must have a fixed container or enclosed deck area under or around each fuel oil or bulk lubricating oil tank vent, overflow, and fill pipe, that:
(1) For a ship of 300 or more but less than 1600 gross tons has a capacity of at least one-half barrel; and
(2) For a ship of 1600 or more gross tons has a capacity of one barrel.
(b) A ship of 100 gross tons or more constructed before July 1, 1974, and a ship of 100 or more but less than 300 gross tons constructed after June 30, 1974 must:
(1) Meet paragraph (a)(1) of this section; or
(2) Equip each fuel oil or bulk lubricating oil tank vent, overflow, and fill pipe during oil transfer operations with a portable container of at least a 5 U.S. gallon capacity; or
(3) If the ship has a fill fitting for which containment is impractical, use an automatic back pressure shut-off nozzle.
(c) This section does not apply to a fixed or floating drilling rig or other platform.