33 CFR § 159.55 - Identification.
(a) Each production device must be legibly marked in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section with the following information:
(1) The name of the manufacturer.
(2) The name and model number of the device.
(3) The month and year of completion of manufacture.
(4) Serial number.
(5) Whether the device is certified for use on an inspected or an uninspected vessel.
(6) Whether the device is Type I, II, or III.
(b) The information required by paragraph (a) of this section must appear on a nameplate attached to the device or in lettering on the device. The nameplate or lettering stamped on the device must be capable of withstanding without loss of legibility the combined effects of normal wear and tear and exposure to water, salt spray, direct sunlight, heat, cold, and any substance listed in § 159.117(b) and (c). The nameplate and lettering must be designed to resist efforts to remove them from the device or efforts to alter the information stamped on the nameplate or the device without leaving some obvious evidence of the attempted removal or alteration.