33 CFR 164.78 - Navigation under way: Towing vessels.
(a) The owner, master, or operator of each vessel towing shall ensure that each person directing and controlling the movement of the vessel -
(1) Understands the arrangement of the tow and the effects of maneuvering on the vessel towing and on the vessel, barge, or object being towed;
(2) Can fix the position of the vessel using installed navigational equipment, aids to navigation, geographic reference-points, and hydrographic contours;
(3) Does not fix the position of the vessel using buoys alone (Buoys are aids to navigation placed in approximate positions either to alert mariners to hazards to navigation or to indicate the orientation of a channel. They may not maintain exact charted positions, because strong or varying currents, heavy seas, ice, and collisions with vessels can move or sink them or set them adrift. Although they may corroborate a position fixed by other means, they cannot fix a position; however, if no other aids are available, buoys alone may establish an estimated position.);
(4) Evaluates the danger of each closing visual or radar contact;
(5) Knows and applies the variation and deviation, where a magnetic compass is fitted and where charts or maps have enough detail to enable this type of correction;
(6) Knows the speed and direction of the current, and the set, drift, and tidal state for the area to be transited;
(7) Proceeds at a safe speed taking into account the weather, visibility, density of traffic, draft of tow, possibility of wake damage, speed and direction of the current, and local speed-limits; and
(8) Monitors the voyage plan required by § 164.80.
(b) The owner, master, or operator of each vessel towing shall ensure that the tests and inspections required by § 164.80 are conducted and that the results are entered in the log or other record carried on board.
Title 33 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 33 CFR Part 164 after this date.