33 CFR § 96.210 - Who does this subpart apply to?
(a) This subpart applies -
(2) To all U.S. vessels engaged on a foreign voyage that are -
(i) A vessel transporting more than 12 passengers; or
(b) This subpart does not apply to -
(1) A barge;
(2) A recreational vessel not engaged in commercial service;
(3) A fishing vessel;
(4) A vessel operating only on the Great Lakes or its tributary and connecting waters; or
(c) Any responsible person and their company who owns and operates a U.S. flag vessel(s) which does not meet the conditions of paragraph (a), may voluntarily meet the standards of this part and Chapter IX of SOLAS and have their safety management systems certificated.
(d) The compliance date for the requirements of this part are -
(1) On or after July 1, 1998, for -
(i) Vessels transporting more than 12 passengers engaged on a foreign voyage; or
(2) On or after July 1, 2002, for other freight vessels and self-propelled mobile offshore drilling units (MODUs) of at least 500 gross tons or more, engaged on a foreign voyage.