34 CFR 222.20 - What definitions apply to this subpart?
In addition to the terms referenced or defined in § 222.2, the following definitions apply to this subpart:
Acquisition or acquired by the United States.
(1) The term means -
(i) The receipt or taking by the United States of ownership in fee simple of real property by condemnation, exchange, gift, purchase, transfer, or other arrangement;
(ii) The receipt by the United States of real property as trustee for the benefit of individual Indians or Indian tribes; or
(iii) The imposition by the United States of restrictions on sale, transfer, or exchange of real property held by individual Indians or Indian tribes.
(2) The definition of “acquisition” in 34 CFR 77.1(c) (Definitions that Apply to Department Regulations) of this title does not apply to this subpart.
Assessed value. For the purpose of determining eligibility under section 8002(a)(1) and § 222.21, the following definition applies:
(1) The term means the value that is assigned to real property, for the purpose of generating local real property tax revenues for current expenditures (as defined in section 8013 of the Act), by a State or local official who is legally authorized to determine that assessed value.
(2) The term does not include -
(i) A value assigned to tax-exempt real property;
(ii) A value assigned to real property for the purpose of generating other types of revenues, such as payments in lieu of taxes (PILOTs);
(iii) Fair market value, or a percentage of fair market value, of real property unless that value was actually used to generate local real property tax revenues for current expenditures (as defined in section 8013); or
(iv) A value assigned to real property in a condemnation or other court proceeding, or a percentage of that value, unless that value was actually used to generate local real property tax revenues for current expenditures (as defined in section 8013).
Eligible Federal property.
(1) The term means “Federal property” as defined in § 222.2(c) for section 8002, which meets the following additional requirements:
(i) The United States has acquired the Federal property since 1938; and
(ii) The Federal property was not acquired by exchange for other Federal property that the United States owned within the school district before 1939.
(2) In addition, for local educational agencies (LEAs) that are eligible under § 222.21(a)(2), the term also means land acquired by the United States Forest Service between 1915 and 1990.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 222 after this date.