34 CFR 299.5 - What maintenance of effort requirements apply to ESEA programs?
(a) General. An LEA receiving funds under an applicable program listed in paragraph (b) of this section may receive its full allocation of funds only if the SEA finds that either the combined fiscal effort per student or the aggregate expenditures of State and local funds with respect to the provision of free public education in the LEA for the preceding fiscal year was not less than 90 percent of the combined fiscal effort per student or the aggregate expenditures for the second preceding fiscal year.
(b) Applicable programs. This subpart is applicable to the following programs:
(1) Part A of title I (Improving Basic Programs Operated by Local Educational Agencies).
(2) Title II (Eisenhower Professional Development Program) (other than section 2103 and part C of this title).
(3) Subpart 2 of part A of title III (State and Local Programs for School Technology Resources).
(4) Part A of title IV (Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities) (other than section 4114).
(c) Meaning of “preceding fiscal year”. For purposes of determining if the requirement of paragraph (a) of this section is met, the “preceding fiscal year” means the Federal fiscal year, or the 12-month fiscal period most commonly used in a State for official reporting purposes, prior to the beginning of the Federal fiscal year in which funds are available for obligation by the Department.
(1) In determining an LEA's compliance with paragraph (a) of this section, the SEA shall consider only the LEA's expenditures from State and local funds for free public education. These include expenditures for administration, instruction, attendance and health services, pupil transportation services, operation and maintenance of plant, fixed charges, and net expenditures to cover deficits for food services and student body activities.
(2) The SEA may not consider the following expenditures in determining an LEA's compliance with the requirements in paragraph (a) of this section:
(i) Any expenditures for community services, capital outlay, debt service or supplemental expenses made as a result of a Presidentially declared disaster.
(ii) Any expenditures made from funds provided by the Federal Government.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 299 after this date.