34 CFR 3.4 - Use of the seal.
(a) Use by any person or organization outside of the Department may be made only with the Department's prior written approval.
(b) Requests by any person or organization outside of the Department for permission to use the Seal must be made in writing to Director of Public Affairs, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20202, and must specify, in detail, the exact use to be made. Any permission granted applies only to the specific use for which it was granted and is not to be construed as permission for any other use.
(c) In regard to internal use, replicas may be used only:
(1) For display in or adjacent to ED facilities, in Departmental auditoriums, presentation rooms, hearing rooms, lobbies, and public document rooms;
(2) In offices of senior officials;
(3) For official awards, certificates, medals, and plaques;
(4) For electronic media, motion picture film, video tape and other audiovisual media prepared by or for ED and attributed thereto;
(5) On official publications which represent the achievements or mission of ED;
(6) In non-ED facilities in connection with events and displays sponsored by ED, and public appearances of the Secretary or other senior ED officials; and
(7) For other internal purposes as determined by the Director for Management;
(d) In regard to internal use, reproductions may be used only -
(1) On ED letterhead stationery;
(2) On official ED identification cards, security, and other approved credentials;
(3) On business cards for ED employees;
(4) On official ED signs;
(5) On official publications or graphics issued by and attributed to ED, or joint statements of ED with one or more other Federal agencies, State or local governments, or foreign governments;
(6) On official awards, certificates, and medals;
(7) On electronic media, motion picture film, video tape, and other audiovisual media prepared by or for ED and attributed thereto; and
(8) For other internal purposes as determined by the Director for Management.
(e) Embossing seals may be used only internally -
(1) On ED legal documents, including interagency or intergovernmental agreements, agreements with State or local governments, foreign patent applications, certification(s) of true copies, and similar documents;
(2) On official awards and certificates; and
(3) For other purposes as determined by the General Counsel or the Director for Management.
(f) Falsely making, forging, counterfeiting, mutilating, or altering the Official Seal, replicas, reproductions, or embossing seals, or knowingly using or possessing with fraudulent intent and altered official seal, replica, reproduction or embossing seal is punishable under 18 U.S.C. 506.
(g) Any person using the Official Seal, replicas, reproductions, or embossing seals in a manner inconsistent with the provisions of this part is subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. 1017, which states penalties for the wrongful use of an Official Seal, and to other provisions of law as applicable.