34 CFR § 656.7 - What definitions apply?
The following definitions apply to this part:
(a) The definitions in 34 CFR part 655.
(b) Area studies means a program of comprehensive study of the aspects of a world area's society or societies, including study of history, culture, economy, politics, international relations, and languages.
(c) Center means an administrative unit of an institution of higher education that has direct access to highly qualified faculty and library resources, and coordinates a concentrated effort of educational resources, including language training and various academic disciplines, in the area and subject matters described in § 656.3.
(d) Comprehensive Center means a Center that -
(1) Contributes significantly to the national interest in advanced research and scholarship;
(2) Offers intensive language instruction;
(3) Maintains important library collections related to the area of its specialization;
(4) Makes training available to a graduate, professional, and undergraduate clientele; and
(5) Engages in curriculum development and community outreach.
(e) For purposes of this section, intensive language instruction means instruction of at least five contact hours per week during the academic year or the equivalent of a full academic year of language instruction during the summer.
(f) Undergraduate Center means an administrative unit of an institution of higher education that -
(1) Contributes significantly to the national interest through the education of students who matriculate into advanced language and area studies programs or professional school programs;
(2) Incorporates substantial international and foreign language content into baccalaureate degree program;
(3) Makes training available predominantly to undergraduate students; and
(4) Engages in research, curriculum development, and community outreach.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.