34 CFR 668.33 - Citizenship and residency requirements.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, to be eligible to receive title IV, HEA program assistance, a student must -
(1) Be a citizen or national of the United States; or
(2) Provide evidence from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service that he or she -
(i) Is a permanent resident of the United States; or
(ii) Is in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or permanent resident;
(1) A citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau is eligible to receive funds under the FWS, FSEOG, and Federal Pell Grant programs if the student attends an eligible institution in a State, or a public or nonprofit private eligible institution of higher education in those jurisdictions.
(2) A student who satisfies the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section is eligible to receive funds under the FWS, FSEOG, and Federal Pell Grant programs if the student attends a public or nonprofit private eligible institution of higher education in the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau.
(1) If a student asserts that he or she is a citizen of the United States on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Secretary attempts to confirm that assertion under a data match with the Social Security Administration. If the Social Security Administration confirms the student's citizenship, the Secretary reports that confirmation to the institution and the student.
(2) If the Social Security Administration does not confirm the student's citizenship assertion under the data match with the Secretary, the student can establish U.S. citizenship by submitting documentary evidence of that status to the institution. Before denying title IV, HEA assistance to a student for failing to establish citizenship, an institution must give a student at least 30 days notice to produce evidence of U.S. citizenship.
Title 34 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 668 after this date.
- 34 CFR 668.32 — Student Eligibility - General.
- 34 CFR 668.133 — Conditions Under Which an Institution Shall Require Documentation and Request Secondary Confirmation.
- 34 CFR 668.137 — Deadlines for Submitting Documentation and the Consequences of Failure to Submit Documentation.
- 34 CFR 668.136 — Institutional Determinations of Eligibility Based on INS Responses to Secondary Confirmation Requests.
- 34 CFR 668.131 — Definitions.
- 34 CFR 668.130 — General.
- 34 CFR 668.134 — Institutional Policies and Procedures for Requesting Documentation and Receiving Secondary Confirmation.
- 34 CFR 668.132 — Institutional Determinations of Eligibility Based on Primary Confirmation.