34 CFR 668.60 - Deadlines for submitting documentation and the consequences of failing to provide documentation.
(a) An institution must require an applicant selected for verification to submit to it, within the period of time it or the Secretary specifies, the documentation set forth in § 668.57 that is requested by the institution.
(b) For purposes of the subsidized student financial assistance programs, excluding the Federal Pell Grant Program -
(1) If an applicant fails to provide the requested documentation within a reasonable time period established by the institution -
(i) The institution may not -
(A) Disburse any additional Federal Perkins Loan or FSEOG Program funds to the applicant;
(B) Employ, continue to employ or allow an employer to employ the applicant under FWS; or
(C) Originate the applicant's Direct Subsidized Loan or disburse any additional Direct Subsidized Loan proceeds for the applicant; and
(ii) The applicant must repay to the institution any Federal Perkins Loan or FSEOG received for that award year;
(2) If the applicant provides the requested documentation after the time period established by the institution, the institution may, at its option, disburse aid to the applicant notwithstanding paragraph (b)(1) of this section; and
(3) If an institution has received proceeds for a Direct Subsidized Loan on behalf of an applicant, the institution must return all or a portion of those funds as provided under § 668.166(b) if the applicant does not complete verification within the time period specified.
(c) For purposes of the Federal Pell Grant Program -
(1) An applicant may submit a valid SAR to the institution or the institution may receive a valid ISIR after the applicable deadline specified in 34 CFR 690.61 but within an established additional time period set by the Secretary through publication of a notice in the Federal Register; and
(2) If the applicant does not provide to the institution the requested documentation and, if necessary, a valid SAR or the institution does not receive a valid ISIR, within the additional time period referenced in paragraph (c)(1) of this section, the applicant -
(i) Forfeits the Federal Pell Grant for the award year; and
(ii) Must return any Federal Pell Grant payments previously received for that award year.
(d) The Secretary may determine not to process FAFSA information of an applicant who has been requested to provide documentation until the applicant provides the documentation or the Secretary decides that there is no longer a need for the documentation.
(e) If an applicant selected for verification for an award year dies before the deadline for completing verification without completing that process, the institution may not -
(1) Make any further disbursements on behalf of that applicant;
(2) Originate that applicant's Direct Subsidized Loan, or disburse that applicant's Direct Subsidized Loan proceeds; or
(3) Consider any funds it disbursed to that applicant under § 668.58(a)(2) as an overpayment.