34 CFR § 668.90 - Authority and responsibilities of the hearing official.
(a) The hearing official regulates the course of a hearing and the conduct of the parties during the hearing. The hearing official takes all necessary steps to conduct a fair and impartial hearing.
(1) The hearing official is not authorized to issue subpoenas.
(2) If requested by the hearing official, the parties to a hearing shall provide available personnel who have knowledge about the matter under review for oral or written examination.
(c) The hearing official takes whatever measures are appropriate to expedite a hearing. These measures may include, but are not limited to, the following -
(1) Scheduling of conferences;
(2) Setting time limits for hearings and submission of written documents; and
(3) Terminating the hearing and issuing a decision against a party if that party does not meet those time limits.
(d) The hearing official is bound by all applicable statutes and regulations. The hearing official may not -
(1) Waive applicable statutes and regulations; or
(2) Rule them invalid.