34 CFR § 674.8 - Program participation agreement.
To participate in the Federal Perkins Loan program, an institution shall enter into a participation agreement with the Secretary. The agreement provides that the institution shall use the funds it receives solely for the purposes specified in this part and shall administer the program in accordance with the Act, this part and the Student Assistance General Provisions regulations, 34 CFR part 668. The agreement further specifically provides, among other things, that -
(a) The institution shall establish and maintain a Fund and shall deposit into the Fund -
(1) FCC received under this subpart;
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of § 674.7 -
(i) ICC equal to at least three-seventeenths of the FCC described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section in award year 1993-94; and
(ii) ICC equal to at least one-third of the FCC described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section in award year 1994-95 and succeeding award years;
(3) ICC equal to the amount of FCC described in paragraph (a)(1) of § 674.7 for an institution that has been granted permission by the Secretary to participate in the ELO under the Federal Perkins Loan program;
(4) Payments of principal, interest, late charges, penalty charges, and collection costs on loans from the Fund;
(5) Payments to the institution as the result of loan cancellations under section 465(b) of the Act;
(6) Any other earnings on assets of the Fund, including the interest earnings of the funds listed in paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this section net of bank charges incurred with regard to Fund assets deposited in interest-bearing accounts; and
(7) Proceeds of short-term no-interest loans made to the Fund in anticipation of collections or receipt of FCC.
(b) The institution shall use the money in the Fund only for -
(1) Making loans to students;
(2) Administrative expenses as provided for in 34 CFR 673.7;
(3) Capital distributions provided for in section 466 of the Act;
(4) Litigation costs (see § 674.47);
(5) Other collection costs, agreed to by the Secretary in connection with the collection of principal, interest, and late charges on a loan made from the Fund (see § 674.47); and
(6) Repayment of any short-term, no-interest loans made to the Fund by the institution in anticipation of collections or receipt of FCC.
(c) The institution shall submit an annual report to the Secretary containing information that determines its cohort default rate that includes -
(1) For institutions in which 30 or more of its current or former students first entered repayment in an award year -
(i) The total number of borrowers who first entered repayment in the award year; and
(ii) The number of those borrowers in default by the end of the following award year; or
(2) For institutions in which less than 30 of its current or former students entered repayment in an award year -
(i) The total number of borrowers who first entered repayment in any of the three most recent award years; and
(ii) The number of those borrowers in default before the end of the award year immediately following the year in which they entered repayment.
(1) If an institution determines not to service or collect a loan, the institution may assign its rights to the loan to the United States without recompense at the beginning of a repayment period.
(2) If a loan is in default despite due diligence on the part of the institution in collecting the loan, the institution may assign its rights to the loan to the United States without recompense.
(3) The institution shall, at the request of the Secretary, assign its rights to a loan to the United States without recompense if -
(i) The amount of outstanding principal is $100.00 or more;
(ii) The loan has been in default, as defined in § 674.5(c)(1), for seven or more years; and
(iii) A payment has not been received on the loan in the preceding twelve months, unless payments were not due because the loan was in a period of authorized forbearance or deferment.
(e) To assist institutions in collecting outstanding loans, the Secretary provides to an institution the names and addresses of borrowers or other information relevant to collection which is available to the Secretary.
(f) The institution shall provide the loan information required by section 463A of the HEA to a borrower.