36 CFR 1120.32 - A&TBCB action on requests.
(a) The FOIA Officer is delegated the authority to issue initial determinations concerning records which he or she believes are in the custody of a Board member, an employee of a member's agency, or an employee of a public member. When the FOIA Officer receives such a request, he or she shall forward it to the member, employee of a member agency, or employee of a public member whom the FOIA Officer believes to have custody of the records, requesting the records. The person to whom the request is forwarded shall, within three days of receipt of the FOIA Officer's request, either furnish the records requested to the FOIA Officer or inform the FOIA Officer of the time when they will be furnished. The FOIA Officer shall then determine whether or not to disclose the documents. For purposes of such requests and their processing under this subpart, the FOIA Officer is considered the office handling the requests.
(b) Heads of staff offices are delegated the authority to issue initial determinations, other records which are in their respective custody.
(c) Whenever an A&TBCB office receives a request forwarded by the FOIA Officer, the office should:
(1) Take action under § 1120.26, if required, to obtain a better description of the records requested;
(2) Locate the records as promptly as possible, or determine that:
(i) The records are not known to exist; or
(ii) They are located at another A&TBCB office; or
(iii) They are located at another Federal agency and not possessed by the A&TBCB.
(3) When appropriate, take action under § 1120.53(b) to obtain payment or assurance of payment;
(4) Determine which of the requested records legally must be withheld, and why (see § 1120.42(b), Release of exempt documents);
(5) Of the requested records which are exempt from mandatory disclosure but which legally may be disclosed (see § 1120.42(a)), determine which records will be withheld, and why;
(6) Issue an initial determination within the allowed period (see § 1120.31), specifying (individually or by category) which records will be disclosed and which will be withheld, and signed by a person authorized to issue the determination under paragraph (a) of this section (see § 1120.33, Initial denials of requests);
(7) Furnish the Freedom of Information Officer a copy of the determination; and
(8) If the determination denies a request, furnish the Freedom of Information Officer the name of the A&TBCB member(s) or employee(s) having custody of the records and maintain the records in a manner permitting their prompt forwarding to the General Counsel upon request if an appeal from the initial denial is filed. (See also § 1120.34.)
(d) If it appears that some or all of the requested records are not in the possession of the A&TBCB office which has been assigned responsibility for responding to the request but may be in the possession of some A&TBCB office, the responding office must so inform the Freedom of Information officer immediately.
(e) An initial determination to disclose documents must provide the requested documents or provide the opportunity to inspect and/or obtain copies of the documents.