37 CFR § 1.77 - Arrangement of application elements.
(a) The elements of the application, if applicable, should appear in the following order:
(1) Utility application transmittal form.
(2) Fee transmittal form.
(3) Application data sheet (see § 1.76).
(6) The inventor's oath or declaration.
(b) The specification should include the following sections in order:
(1) Title of the invention, which may be accompanied by an introductory portion stating the name, citizenship, and residence of the applicant (unless included in the application data sheet).
(2) Cross-reference to related applications.
(3) Statement regarding federally sponsored research or development.
(4) The names of the parties to a joint research agreement.
(5) An incorporation by reference statement regarding the material in:
(i) One or more ASCII plain text files, submitted via the USPTO patent electronic filing system or on one or more read-only optical discs (see § 1.52(e)(8)), identifying the names of each file, the date of creation of each file, and the size of each file in bytes, for the following document types:
(A) A “Computer Program Listing Appendix” (see § 1.96(c));
(B) A “Sequence Listing” (see § 1.821(c)); or
(C) “Large Tables” (see § 1.58(c)).
(ii) An XML file for a “Sequence Listing XML” (see § 1.831(a)), submitted via the USPTO patent electronic filing system or on one or more read-only optical discs (see § 1.52(e)(8)), identifying the names of each file, the date of creation of each file, and the size of each file in bytes.
(6) Statement regarding prior disclosures by the inventor or a joint inventor.
(7) Background of the invention.
(8) Brief summary of the invention.
(9) Brief description of the several views of the drawing.
(10) Detailed description of the invention.
(11) A claim or claims.
(12) Abstract of the disclosure.
(13) “Sequence Listing,” required by § 1.821(c), that is submitted as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file (as set forth in § 1.821(c)(2)) via the USPTO patent electronic filing system or on physical sheets of paper (as set forth in § 1.821(c)(3)).
(c) The text of the specification sections defined in paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(12) of this section, if applicable, should be preceded by a section heading in uppercase and without underlining or bold type.