37 CFR § 1.77 - Arrangement of application elements.
(a) The elements of the application, if applicable, should appear in the following order:
(1) Utility application transmittal form.
(2) Fee transmittal form.
(3) Application data sheet (see § 1.76).
(6) The inventor's oath or declaration.
(b) The specification should include the following sections in order:
(1) Title of the invention, which may be accompanied by an introductory portion stating the name, citizenship, and residence of the applicant (unless included in the application data sheet).
(2) Cross-reference to related applications.
(3) Statement regarding federally sponsored research or development.
(4) The names of the parties to a joint research agreement.
(5) Reference to a “Sequence Listing,” a table, or a computer program listing appendix submitted on a compact disc and an incorporation-by-reference of the material on the compact disc (see § 1.52(e)(5)). The total number of compact discs including duplicates and the files on each compact disc shall be specified.
(6) Statement regarding prior disclosures by the inventor or a joint inventor.
(7) Background of the invention.
(8) Brief summary of the invention.
(9) Brief description of the several views of the drawing.
(10) Detailed description of the invention.
(11) A claim or claims.
(12) Abstract of the disclosure.
(13) “Sequence Listing,” if on paper (see §§ 1.821 through 1.825).
(c) The text of the specification sections defined in paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(12) of this section, if applicable, should be preceded by a section heading in uppercase and without underlining or bold type.