37 CFR 201.3 - Fees for registration, recordation, and related services, special services, and services performed by the Licensing Division.
(b)Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1)Registration, recordation, and related service fee. This is the fee for a registration or recordation service that the Office is required to perform under 17 U.S.C., or a directly related service. It includes those services described in section 708(a)(1)-(9) and authorized by Pub. L. 105-80.
(2)Special service fee. This is a fee for a special service not specified in title 17, which the Register of Copyrights may fix at any time on the basis of the cost of providing the service, as provided by 17 U.S.C. 708(a).
(3)Licensing Division service fee. This is a fee for a service performed by the Licensing Division.
(c)Registration, recordation, and related service fees. The Copyright Office has established the following fees for these services:
|Registration, recordation and related services||Fees
|(1) Registration of a standard claim in an original work of authorship:|
|(i) Single author, same claimant, one work, not for hire||35|
|(ii) All other filings||55|
|Paper Filing (Forms PA, SR, TX, VA, SE, SR)||85|
|(2) Registration of a claim in a group of contributions to periodicals (Form GR/CP) or database updates||85|
|(3) Registration for a group of published photographs, or an automated database that predominantly consists of photographs and updates thereto:|
|(i) Electronic filing||55|
|(ii) Paper filing||65|
|(4) Registration of a renewal claim (Form RE):|
|(i) Claim without addendum||100|
|(ii) Addendum (in addition to the fee for the claim)||100|
|(5) Registration of a claim in a group of serials (Form SE/Group) (per issue, minimum 2 issues)||25|
|(6) Registration of a claim in a group of daily newspapers and qualified newsletters (Form G/DN)||80|
|(7) Registration of a claim in a restored copyright (Form GATT)||85|
|(8) Preregistration of certain unpublished works||140|
|(9) Registration of a correction or amplification to a claim:|
|(10) Registration of a claim in a mask work (Form MW)||120|
|(11) Registration of a claim in a vessel design (Form D/VH)||400|
|(12) Provision of an additional certificate of registration||40|
|(13) Certification of other Copyright Office records, including search reports (per hour)||200|
|(14) Search report prepared from official records other than Licensing Division records (per hour, 2 hour minimum)||200|
|Estimate of search fee (credited to search fee)||200|
|(15) Retrieval of in-process or completed Copyright Office records or other Copyright Office materials:|
|(i) Retrieval of paper records (per hour, 1 hour minimum)||200|
|(ii) Retrieval of digital records (per hour, half hour minimum, quarter hour increments)||200|
|(16) Recordation of document, including a notice of intention to enforce|
|Additional titles (per group of 1 to 10 titles)||35|
|Correction of online Public Catalog data due to erroneous electronic title submission (per title)||7|
|(17) Designation of agent under
|(18) Issuance of a receipt for a § 407 deposit||30|
|(19) Removal of PII from Registration Records|
|(i) Initial request, per registration record||130|
|(ii) Reconsideration of denied requests, flat fee||60|
(d)Special service fees. The Copyright Office has established the following fees for special services of the Office:
|(1) Service charge for deposit account overdraft||250|
|(2) Service charge for dishonored deposit account replenishment check||100|
|(3) Service charge for an uncollectible or non-negotiable payment||30|
|(i) First appeal (per claim)||250|
|(ii) Second appeal (per claim)||500|
|(5) Secure test processing charge (per staff member per hour)||250|
|(6) Copying of Copyright Office records by staff:|
|Photocopy (black & white, 8
|Photocopy (black & white, 11 × 17) (per page, minimum: $12)||1|
|Photocopy (color, 8
|Photocopy (color, 11 × 17) (per page, minimum: $12)||4|
|Audiocassette (first 30 minutes)||75|
|Additional 15 minute increments||20|
|Videocassette (first 30 minutes)||75|
|Additional 15 minute increments||20|
|CD or DVD||30|
|Unsupported formats and other copying of materials by outside providers, at cost of provider||Variable|
|(7) Special handling fee for a claim||800|
|Handling fee for each non-special handling claim using the same deposit||50|
|(8) Special handling fee for recordation of a document||550|
|(9) Handling fee for extra deposit copy for certification||50|
|(10) Full-term retention of a published deposit||540|
|(11) Special handling of search report, per hour (for up to 2 hours)||300|
|Additional hours of searching, per hour||500|
|(12) Special handling of retrieval, certification, and copying, per hour||305|
|(13) Notice to libraries and archives||50|
|Each additional title||20|
|(14) Service charge for Federal Express mailing||45|
|(15) Service charge for delivery of documents via facsimile (per page, 7 page maximum)||1|
(e)Licensing Division service fees. The Copyright Office has established the following fees for specific services of the Licensing Division:
|Licensing Division services||Fees
|(1) Recordation of a notice of intention to make and distribute phonorecords (
|Additional titles (per group of 1 to 10 titles) (paper filing)||20|
|Additional titles (per group of 1 to 100 titles) (online filing)||10|
|(2) Statement of account amendment (cable television systems and satellite carriers,
|(3) Recordation of certain contracts by cable TV systems located outside the 48 contiguous states||50|
|(4) Notice of digital transmission of sound recording (
|Amended notice of digital transmission of sound recording||40|
|(5) Processing of a statement of account based on secondary transmissions of primary transmissions pursuant to
|(i) Form SA1||15|
|(ii) Form SA2||20|
|(iii) Form SA3||725|
|(6) Processing of a statement of account based on secondary transmissions of primary transmissions pursuant to
|(7) Search report prepared from Licensing Division records (per hour, 1 hour minimum)||200|
(f)Fees for travel in connection with educational activities. For travel expenses in connection with Copyright Office educational activities when participation by Copyright Office personnel has been requested by another organization or person and that organization or person has agreed to pay such expenses, collection of the fee shall be subject to, and the amount of the fee shall be no greater than, the amount authorized under the Federal Travel Regulations found in Chapters 300 through 304 of Title 41.
Title 37 published on 2015-12-02
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 37 CFR Part 201 after this date.
- 37 CFR 201.25 — Visual Arts Registry.
- 37 CFR 201.18 — Notice of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords of Nondramatic Musical Works.
- 37 CFR 201.11 — Satellite Carrier Statements of Account Covering Statutory Licenses for Secondary Transmissions.
- 37 CFR 201.26 — Recordation of Documents Pertaining to Computer Shareware and Donation of Public Domain Computer Software.
- 37 CFR 201.33 — Procedures for Filing Notices of Intent to Enforce a Restored Copyright Under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act.
- 37 CFR 201.27 — Initial Notice of Distribution of Digital Audio Recording Devices or Media.
- 37 CFR 201.10 — Notices of Termination of Transfers and Licenses.
- 37 CFR 203.1 — General.
- 37 CFR 202.19 — Deposit of Published Copies or Phonorecords for the Library of Congress.
- 37 CFR 201.4 — Recordation of Transfers and Certain Other Documents.
- 37 CFR 212.3 — Registration of Claims for Protection of Eligible Designs.
- 37 CFR 204.6 — Fees.
- 37 CFR 202.5 — Reconsideration Procedure for Refusals to Register.
- 37 CFR 370.2 — Notice of Use of Sound Recordings Under Statutory License.
- 37 CFR 302.2 — Fees.
- 37 CFR 201.5 — Corrections and Amplifications of Copyright Registrations; Applications for Supplementary Registration.
- 37 CFR 201.38 — Designation of Agent to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement.
- 37 CFR 212.8 — Correction of Errors in Certificates of Registration.
- 37 CFR 201.2 — Information Given by the Copyright Office.
- 37 CFR 201.39 — Notice to Libraries and Archives of Normal Commercial Exploitation or Availability at Reasonable Price.
- 37 CFR 201.34 — Procedures for Filing Correction Notices of Intent to Enforce a Copyright Restored Under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act.
- 37 CFR 212.2 — Fees.
- 37 CFR 202.16 — Preregistration of Copyrights.
- 37 CFR 210.17 — Annual Statements of Account.
- 37 CFR 202.3 — Registration of Copyright.
- 37 CFR 212.5 — Recordation of Distinctive Identification of Vessel Designer.
- 37 CFR 201.12 — Recordation of Certain Contracts by Cable Systems Located Outside of the Forty-Eight Contiguous States.
- 37 CFR 201.28 — Statements of Account for Digital Audio Recording Devices or Media.
- 37 CFR 202.23 — Full Term Retention of Copyright Deposits.
- 37 CFR 201.17 — Statements of Account Covering Compulsory Licenses for Secondary Transmissions by Cable Systems.
- 37 CFR 202.12 — Restored Copyrights.
- 37 CFR 210.16 — Monthly Statements of Account.
- 37 CFR 211.3 — Mask Work Fees.
- 37 CFR 203.11 — Fees.