37 CFR 41.106 - Filing and service.
(a) General format requirements.
(1) The paper used for filings must be durable and white. A party must choose to file on either A4-sized paper or 8 1/2 inch × 11 inch paper except in the case of exhibits that require a larger size in order to preserve details of the original. A party may not switch between paper sizes in a single proceeding. Only one side of the paper may be used.
(2) In papers, including affidavits, created for the proceeding:
(i) Markings must be in black ink or must otherwise provide an equivalently permanent, dark, high-contrast image on the paper. The quality of printing must be equivalent to the quality produced by a laser printer. Either a proportional or monospaced font may be used, but the proportional font must be 12-point or larger and a monospaced font must not contain more than 4 characters per centimeter (10 characters per inch). Case names must be underlined or italicized.
(ii) Double spacing must be used except in headings, tables of contents, tables of authorities, indices, signature blocks, and certificates of service. Block quotations may be single-spaced and must be indented. Margins must be at least 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) on all sides.
(b) Papers other than exhibits -
(1) Cover sheet.
(i) The cover sheet must include the caption the Board specifies for the proceeding, a header indicating the party and contact information for the party, and a title indicating the sequence and subject of the paper. For example, “JONES MOTION 2, For benefit of an earlier application”.
(ii) If the Board specifies a color other than white for the cover sheet, the cover sheet must be that color.
(2) Papers must have two 0.5 cm ( 1/4 inch) holes with centers 1 cm ( 1/2 inch) from the top of the page and 7 cm (2 3/4 inch) apart, centered horizontally on the page.
(3) Incorporation by reference; combined papers. Arguments must not be incorporated by reference from one paper into another paper. Combined motions, oppositions, replies, or other combined papers are not permitted.
(4) Exhibits. Additional requirements for exhibits appear in § 41.154(c).
(c) Working copy. Every paper filed must be accompanied by a working copy marked “APJ Copy”.
(d) Specific filing forms -
(1) Filing by mail. A paper filed using the Priority Mail Express® service of the United States Postal Service will be deemed to be filed as of “date accepted” on the Priority Mail Express® mailing label; otherwise, mail will be deemed to be filed as of the stamped date of receipt at the Board.
(2) Other modes of filing. The Board may authorize other modes of filing, including electronic filing and hand filing, and may set conditions for the use of such other modes.
(2) If a party is represented by counsel, service must be on counsel.
(3) Service must be by Priority Mail Express® or by means at least as fast and reliable as Priority Mail Express®. Electronic service is not permitted without Board authorization.
(4) The date of service does not count in computing the time for responding.
(f) Certificate of service.
(1) Papers other than exhibits must include a certificate of service as a separate page at the end of each paper that must be served on an opposing party.
(2) Exhibits must be accompanied by a certificate of service, but a single certificate may accompany any group of exhibits submitted together.
(3) A certificate of service must state:
(i) The date and manner of service,
(ii) The name and address of every person served, and
(iii) For exhibits filed as a group, the name and number of each exhibit served.
Title 37 published on 2014-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 37 CFR Part 41 after this date.