38 CFR 17.903 - Payment.
(1) Payment for services or benefits under §§ 17.900 through 17.905 will be determined utilizing the same payment methodologies as provided for under the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) (see § 17.270). For those services or benefits covered by §§ 17.900 through 17.905 but not covered by CHAMPVA we will use payment methodologies the same or similar to those used for equivalent services or benefits provided to veterans.
(2) As a condition of payment, the services must have occurred:
(ii) For covered birth defects, on or after December 1, 2001, and must have occurred on or after the date the child was determined eligible for benefits under § 3.815 of this title.
(3) Claims from approved health care providers must be filed with the Health Administration Center in writing (facsimile, mail, hand delivery, or electronically) no later than:
(i) One year after the date of service; or
(ii) In the case of inpatient care, one year after the date of discharge; or
(i) Patient identification information:
(A) Full name,
(C) Date of birth, and
(D) Social Security number.
(ii) Provider identification information (inpatient and outpatient services):
(A) Full name and address (such as hospital or physician),
(B) Remittance address,
(C) Address where services were rendered,
(D) Individual provider's professional status (M.D., Ph.D., R.N., etc.), and
(E) Provider tax identification number (TIN) or Social Security number.
(iii) Patient treatment information (long-term care or institutional services):
(A) Dates of service (specific and inclusive),
(B) Summary level itemization (by revenue code),
(C) Dates of service for all absences from a hospital or other approved institution during a period for which inpatient benefits are being claimed,
(D) Principal diagnosis established, after study, to be chiefly responsible for causing the patient's hospitalization,
(E) All secondary diagnoses,
(F) All procedures performed,
(G) Discharge status of the patient, and
(H) Institution's Medicare provider number.
(iv) Patient treatment information for all other health care providers and ancillary outpatient services such as durable medical equipment, medical requisites, and independent laboratories:
(B) Procedure code for each procedure, service, or supply for each date of service, and
(C) Individual billed charge for each procedure, service, or supply for each date of service.
(v) Prescription drugs and medicines and pharmacy supplies:
(A) Name and address of pharmacy where drug was dispensed,
(B) Name of drug,
(C) National Drug Code (NDC) for drug provided,
(F) Date dispensed,
(G) Pharmacy receipt for each drug dispensed (including billed charge), and
(H) Diagnosis for which each drug is prescribed.
(1) Care as part of a grant study or research program,
(2) Care considered experimental or investigational,
(3) Drugs not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for commercial marketing,
(4) Services, procedures, or supplies for which the beneficiary has no legal obligation to pay, such as services obtained at a health fair,
(5) Services provided outside the scope of the provider's license or certification, and
(6) Services rendered by providers suspended or sanctioned by a Federal agency.
(c) Payments made in accordance with the provisions of §§ 17.900 through 17.905 shall constitute payment in full. Accordingly, the health care provider or agent for the health care provider may not impose any additional charge for any services for which payment is made by VA.
(d)Explanation of benefits (EOB) - (1) When a claim under the provisions of §§ 17.900 through 17.905 is adjudicated, an EOB will be sent to the beneficiary or guardian and the provider. The EOB provides, at a minimum, the following information:
(i) Name and address of recipient,
(ii) Description of services and/or supplies provided,
(iii) Dates of services or supplies provided,
(iv) Amount billed,
(v) Determined allowable amount,
(vi) To whom payment, if any, was made, and
(vii) Reasons for denial (if applicable).
Title 38 published on 2015-12-03
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 17 after this date.