38 CFR § 21.270 - Payment of subsistence allowance during leave and other periods.
(a) Payment during leave. VA will pay an eligible veteran a subsistence allowance during any period of approved leave including a veteran:
(1) Receiving medical or rehabilitation services on an outpatient basis at a VA medical center, and who provides his or her own room and board;
(2) Receiving service department retirement or retained pay while not on active duty;
(3) Hospitalized at a VA medical center while on approved leave. If the veteran becomes eligible for payment of disability compensation at the temporary 100 percent rate, under § 3.401(h) of this title due to hospitalization, payment will be made under provisions of § 21.266(a).
(b) Payment for other periods. Subsistence allowance will be paid for:
(1) Weekend and legal holidays, or customary vacation periods associated with them;
(2) Periods in which the school is closed temporarily under emergency conditions described in § 21.4138(f).