38 CFR § 21.3300 - Special restorative training.
(a) Purpose of special restorative training. The Department of Veterans Affairs may prescribe special restorative training where needed to overcome or lessen the effects of a physical or mental disability for the purpose of enabling an eligible person to pursue a program of education, special vocational program or other appropriate goal. Medical care and treatment or psychiatric treatment are not included.
(b) Eligible persons. VA may prescribe special restorative training for an eligible person who is a child, spouse, or surviving spouse except for a spouse whose qualification as an eligible person is under § 21.3021(a)(3)(ii). The special restorative training must begin after December 26, 2001, for a spouse or surviving spouse.
(c) Special restorative training courses. The counseling psychologist or vocational rehabilitation counselor, after consulting with the Vocational Rehabilitation Panel, may prescribe for special restorative training purposes courses such as -
(1) Speech and voice correction or retention,
(2) Language retraining,
(3) Speech (lip) reading,
(4) Auditory training,
(5) Braille reading and writing,
(6) Training in ambulation,
(7) One-hand typewriting,
(8) Nondominant handwriting,
(9) Personal, social and work adjustment training,
(10) Remedial reading, and
(11) Courses at special schools for mentally and physically disabled or
(12) Courses provided at facilities which are adapted or modified to meet special needs of disabled students.
(d) Duration of special restorative training. VA may provide special restorative training in excess of 45 months where an additional period of time is needed to complete the training. Entitlement, including any authorized in excess of 45 months, may be expended through an accelerated program requiring a rate of payment for tuition and fees in excess of -
(1) $247.00 a month for the period beginning July 1, 2004, and ending September 30, 2004;
(2) $251.00 a month for the period beginning October 1, 2004, and ending September 30, 2005;
(3) $258.00 a month for the period beginning October 1, 2005, and ending September 30, 2006;
(4) $268.00 a month for the period beginning October 1, 2006, and ending September 30, 2007;
(5) $274.00 a month for the period beginning October 1, 2007, and ending September 30, 2008; and
(6) $284.00 a month for months after September 30, 2008.
(e) Special restorative training precluded in Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. Special restorative training will not be provided in Department of Veterans Affairs facilities.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.