38 CFR 21.47 - Eligibility for employment assistance.
(a) Providing employment services to veterans eligible for a rehabilitation program under chapter 31. Each veteran, other than one found in need of a program of independent living services and assistance, who is otherwise currently eligible for and entitled to participate in a program of rehabilitation under chapter 31 may receive employment services. Included are those veterans who:
(1) Have completed a program of rehabilitation services under chapter 31 and been declared rehabilitated to the point of employability;
(2) Have not completed a period of rehabilitation to the point of employability under chapter 31, but:
(i) Have elected to secure employment without completing the period of rehabilitation to the point of employability; and
(ii) Are employable; or
(3) Have never received services for rehabilitation to the point of employability under chapter 31 if they:
(i) Are employable or employed in a suitable occupation;
(ii) Have an employment handicap or a serious employment handicap; and
(iii) Need employment services to secure and/or maintain suitable employment.
(b) Veteran previously participated in a VA vocational rehabilitation program or a similar program under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. A veteran who at some time in the past has participated in a vocational rehabilitation program under chapter 31 or a similar program under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, and is employable is eligible for employment services under the following conditions even though he or she is ineligible for any other assistance under chapter 31:
(1) The veteran is employable in a suitable occupation;
(2) The veteran has filed a claim for vocational rehabilitation or employment assistance;
(3) The veteran meets the criteria for eligibility described in § 21.40; and
(4) The veteran has an employment handicap or serious employment handicap; and
(5) The veteran:
(i) Completed a vocational rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. ch. 31 or participated in such a program for at least 90 days on or after September 16, 1940; or
(ii) Completed a vocational rehabilitation program under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 after September 26, 1975, or participated in such a program which included at least 90 days of postsecondary education or vocational training.
(c) Veteran never received vocational rehabilitation services from the Department of Veterans Affairs or under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. If a veteran is currently ineligible under chapter 31 because he or she does not have an employment handicap, and has never before participated in a vocational rehabilitation program under chapter 31 or under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, no employment assistance may now be provided to the veteran under chapter 31.
(d) Duration of period of employment assistance. The periods during which employment assistance may be provided are not subject to limitations on periods of eligibility for vocational rehabilitation provided in §§ 21.41 through 21.45 of this part, but entitlement to such assistance is, as provided in § 21.73 of this part, limited to 18 total months of assistance.