38 CFR § 21.6072 - Extending the duration of a vocational training program.
(a) Extension of the duration of a vocational training program. An extension of a vocational training program as formulated in the IWRP may only be approved to enable the veteran to achieve a vocational goal identified before the end of the first 24 calendar months of the program.
(b) Maximum number of months for which a program for new participants may be approved. If a veteran had never participated in this temporary program of vocational training, the originally planned period of training may be extended to a total period consisting of the number of months necessary to attain the vocational goal, but in no case will a program be extended for:
(1) More than 24 calendar months beyond the originally planned period; or
(2) A period which, when added to the originally planned period, totals more than 48 months, as provided in § 21.6074(c) of this part.
(c) Maximum number of months by which a program may be extended for prior participants in the temporary program.
(1) A veteran who has previously participated in this program, but who was not rehabilitated to the point of employability, may be provided additional training under this program to complete the prior vocational goal or a different vocational goal, subject to the same provisions as apply to new participants;
(2) If a finding of prior rehabilitation to the point of employability is set aside to enable a veteran to pursue a program of on-job training or work experience, including the provision of employer incentives under § 21.256 of this part, the number of months for which assistance may be authorized under this program shall be established as provided in § 21.256 of this part to the extent consistent with the rules of this section;
(3) If the determination of rehabilitation to the point of employability has been set aside under § 21.6284 (a) or (b) of this part, additional training may be provided subject to the same provisions as apply to new participants.
(d) Who may authorize an extension to a vocational training program.
(1) The Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist (VRS) may authorize an extension of up to 3 calendar months of full-time or up to 6 calendar months of less than full-time training to the period of an existing vocational training program, if the VRS determines that the additional time is needed to successfully complete training and the following conditions are met:
(i) The veteran is in rehabilitation to the point of employability status under § 21.190 of this part;
(ii) The veteran has completed more than half of the prescribed training;
(iii) The veteran is making satisfactory progress;
(iv) The extension is necessary to complete training;
(v) Training can be completed with 3 months of full-time training or not more than 6 calendar months of less than full-time training; and
(vi) The extension plus the original program period will not result in a program of vocational training greater than 36 total calendar months;
(2) The Counseling Psychologist (CP) or Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) may approve any other extensions of the vocational training program, except as provided in paragraph (d)(3) of this section, if it is determined that the additional time is needed and the conditions for extension under paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section are met;
(3) The VR&E Officer must also concur in an extension of the vocational training program beyond 24 months when paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section are met.