38 CFR § 21.6140 - Evaluation and improvement of rehabilitation potential.
(a) General. The services described in paragraph (d) of this section may be used to:
(1) Evaluate rehabilitation potential;
(2) Provide a basis for planning:
(i) A program of services and assistance to improve the veteran's potential for vocational rehabilitation; or
(ii) A vocational training program; and
(3) Reevaluate the vocational training potential of a veteran participating in a rehabilitation program.
(b) Periods during which evaluation and improvement services may be provided. Services described in paragraph (d) of this section may be provided during:
(1) An evaluation or reevaluation;
(2) Rehabilitation to the point of employability;
(3) Employment services.
(c) Duration of services. The duration of services needed to improve rehabilitation potential, furnished on a full-time basis either as a preliminary part of the period of rehabilitation to the point of employability or as the total program, may not exceed 9 months. If these services are furnished on a less than full-time basis the duration will be for the period necessary, but may not exceed the equivalent of 9 months of full-time training. See § 21.6310.
(d) Scope of services. Evaluation and improvement services include:
(1) Diagnostic services;
(2) Personal and work adjustment training;
(3) Medical care and treatment;
(4) Independent living services indispensable to pursuing a vocational training program;
(5) Language training, speech and voice correction, training in ambulation, and one-hand typewriting;
(6) Orientation, adjustment, mobility and related services; and
(7) Other appropriate services.
(e) Applicability of chapter 31 rules. the provisions of § 21.140 of this part are not applicable to this temporary program. The provisions of § 21.142 through § 21.156 of this part are applicable, subject to provisions of this section.