38 CFR 3.160 - Status of claims.
(a)Complete claim. A submission of an application form prescribed by the Secretary, whether paper or electronic, that meets the following requirements:
(2) A complete claim must be signed by the claimant or a person legally authorized to sign for the claimant.
(3) A complete claim must identify the benefit sought.
(4) A description of any symptom(s) or medical condition(s) on which the benefit is based must be provided to the extent the form prescribed by the Secretary so requires; and
(5) For nonservice-connected disability or death pension and parents' dependency and indemnity compensation claims, a statement of income must be provided to the extent the form prescribed by the Secretary so requires.
(b)Original claim. The initial complete claim for one or more benefits on an application form prescribed by the Secretary.
(c)Pending claim. A claim which has not been finally adjudicated.
(d)Finally adjudicated claim. A claim that is adjudicated by the Department of Veterans Affairs as either allowed or disallowed is considered finally adjudicated by whichever of the following occurs first:
(2) Disposition on appellate review.
(e)Reopened claim. An application for a benefit received after final disallowance of an earlier claim that is subject to readjudication on the merits based on receipt of new and material evidence related to the finally adjudicated claim, or any claim based on additional evidence or a request for a personal hearing submitted more than 90 days following notification to the appellant of the certification of an appeal and transfer of applicable records to the Board of Veterans' Appeals which was not considered by the Board in its decision and was referred to the agency of original jurisdiction for consideration as provided in § 20.1304(b)(1) of this chapter.
(f)Claim for increase. Any application for an increase in rate of a benefit being paid under a current award, or for resumption of payments previously discontinued.
Title 38 published on 2015-12-03
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 3 after this date.