38 CFR 3.31 - Commencement of the period of payment.
Regardless of VA regulations concerning effective dates of awards, and except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, payment of monetary benefits based on original, reopened, or increased awards of compensation, pension, dependency and indemnity compensation, or a monetary allowance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 18 for an individual who is a child of a Vietnam veteran or a child of a veteran with covered service in Korea may not be made for any period prior to the first day of the calendar month following the month in which the award became effective. However, beneficiaries will be deemed to be in receipt of monetary benefits during the period between the effective date of the award and the date payment commences for the purpose of all laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs except that nothing in this section will be construed as preventing the receipt of retired or retirement pay prior to the effective date of waiver of such pay in accordance with 38 U.S.C. 5305.
(a) Increased award defined. For the purposes of this section the term increased award means an award which is increased because of an added dependent, increase in disability or disability rating, or reduction in income. The term also includes elections of improved pension under section 306 of Pub. L. 95-588 and awards pursuant to paragraphs 29 and 30 of the Schedule for Rating Disabilities except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) General rule of applicability. The provisions of this section apply to all original, reopened, or increased awards unless such awards provide only for continuity of entitlement with no increase in rate of payment.
(c) Specific exclusions. The provisions of this section do not apply to the following types of awards.
(1) Surviving spouse's rate for the month of a veteran's death (for exception see § 3.20(b))
(2) In cases where military retired or retirement pay is greater than the amount of compensation payable, compensation will be paid as of the effective date of waiver of such pay. However, in cases where the amount of compensation payable is greater than military retired or retirement pay, payment of the available difference for any period prior to the effective date of total waiver of such pay is subject to the general provisions of this section.
(3) Adjustments of awards - such as in the case of original or increased apportionments or the termination of any withholding, reduction, or suspension by reason of:
(ii) An offset to collect indebtedness,
(iii) Institutionalization (hospitalization),
(vi) An estate that exceeds the limitation for certain hospitalized incompetent veterans, or
(vii) Discontinuance of apportionments.
(4) Increases resulting solely from the enactment of legislation - such as
(i) Cost-of-living increases in compensation or dependency and indemnity compensation,
(ii) Increases in Improved Pension, parents' dependency and indemnity compensation, or a monetary allowance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 18 pursuant to § 3.27, or
(iii) Changes in the criteria for statutory award designations.
(5) Temporary total ratings pursuant to paragraph 29 of the Schedule for Rating Disabilities when the entire period of hospitalization or treatment, including any period of post-hospitalization convalescence, commences and terminates within the same calendar month. In such cases the period of payment shall commence on the first day of the month in which the hospitalization or treatment began.
Title 38 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 3 after this date.