38 CFR 3.4 - Compensation.
(a)Compensation. This term means a monthly payment made by the Department of Veterans Affairs to a veteran because of service-connected disability, or to a surviving spouse, child, or parent of a veteran because of the service-connected death of the veteran occurring before January 1, 1957, or under the circumstances outlined in paragraph (c)(2) of this section. If the veteran was discharged or released from service, the discharge or release must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.
(1) Basic entitlement for a veteran exists if the veteran is disabled as the result of a personal injury or disease (including aggravation of a condition existing prior to service) while in active service if the injury or the disease was incurred or aggravated in line of duty.
(2) An additional amount of compensation may be payable for a spouse, child, and/or dependent parent where a veteran is entitled to compensation based on disability evaluated as 30 per centum or more disabling.
(1) The veteran died before January 1, 1957; or
(2) The veteran died on or after May 1, 1957, and before January 1, 1972, if at the time of death a policy of United States Government Life Insurance or National Service Life Insurance was in effect under waiver of premiums under 38 U.S.C. 1924 unless the waiver was granted under the first proviso of section 622(a) of the National Service Life Insurance Act of 1940, and the veteran died before return to military jurisdiction or within 120 days thereafter. (See § 3.5(d) as to Public Health Service.)
- 38 CFR 3.400 — General.
- 38 CFR 3.216 — Mandatory Disclosure of Social Security Numbers.
- 38 CFR 21.5065 — Refunds Without Disenrollment.
- 38 CFR 3.5 — Dependency and Indemnity Compensation.
- 38 CFR 21.5740 — Eligibility.
- 38 CFR 3.1 — Definitions.
- 38 CFR 21.5040 — Basic Eligibility.
- 38 CFR 3.552 — Adjustment of Allowance for Aid and Attendance.