(a) To be eligible for guaranty or insurance, any loan of the following types shall require prior approval of the Under Secretary for Benefits, or the Director, Loan Guaranty Service, who may issue such approval upon such conditions and limitations deemed appropriate, not inconsistent with the provisions of 38 U.S.C. chapter 37 and this subpart:
(1) Any loan which is related to an enterprise in which more than 10 individuals will participate; or
(2) Any loan to be made for the purchase or construction of residential units in any housing development, cooperative or otherwise, the title to which development or to the individual units therein is not to be held directly by the veteran-participants, or which contemplates the ownership or maintenance of more than three units or of their major appurtenances in common.
(b) The issuance of such approval with respect to a residential development under paragraph (a)(2) of this section also shall be subject to such conditions and stipulation as in the judgment of the approving officer are possible and proper to:
(1) Afford reasonable and feasible protection to the rights of the Government as guarantor or insurer, and as subrogee, and to each veteran-participant against loss of his or her respective equity consequent upon the failure of other participants to discharge their obligations;
(2) Provide for a reasonable and workable plan for the operation and management of the project;
(3) Limit the personal liability of each veteran-participant to those sums allocable on a proper ratable basis to the purchase, cost, and maintenance of his or her individual unit or participating interest; and
(4) Limit commercial features to those reasonably calculated to promote the economic soundness of the project and the living convenience of the participants, retaining the essential character of a residential project.
(c) No such project, development, or enterprise may be approved which involves an initial grouping of more than 500 veterans, or a cost of more than five million dollars, unless it is conclusively shown to the satisfaction of the approving officer that a greater number of veterans or dollar amount will assure substantial advantages to the veteran-participants which could not be achieved in a smaller project.
(d) When approved as in this section provided, and upon performance of the conditions indicated in the prior approval, proper guaranty certificate or certificates may be issued in connection with the loan or loans to be guaranteed on behalf of eligible veterans participating in the project, development or enterprise not to exceed in total amount the sum of the guaranties applied for by the individual participants and for which guaranty each participant is then eligible.
(e) In lieu of guaranty as authorized in paragraph (d) of this section, insurance shall be available on application by the lender and all veterans concerned. In such case the insurance credit shall be limited to 15 percent of the obligation of the veteran applicant (subject to available eligibility) and the total insurance credit in respect to the veterans' loans involved in the project shall not exceed 15 percent of the aggregate of the principal sums of the individual indebtedness incurred by the veterans participating in the project for the purpose of acquiring their respective interests therein.