38 CFR 51.150 - Physician services.
(a)Physician supervision. The facility management must ensure that -
(1) The medical care of each resident is supervised by a primary care physician;
(2) Each resident's medical record lists the name of the resident's primary physician, and
(b)Physician visits. The physician must -
(1) Review the resident's total program of care, including medications and treatments, at each visit required by paragraph (c) of this section;
(2) Write, sign, and date progress notes at each visit; and
(3) Sign and date all orders.
(c)Frequency of physician visits.
(1) The resident must be seen by the primary physician at least once every 30 days for the first 90 days after admission, and at least once every 60 days thereafter, or more frequently based on the condition of the resident.
(2) A physician visit is considered timely if it occurs not later than 10 days after the date the visit was required.
(4) At the option of the physician, required visits in the facility after the initial visit may alternate between personal visits by the physician and visits by a physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist in accordance with paragraph (e) of this section.
(e)Physician delegation of tasks.
(ii) a clinical nurse specialist who -
(A) Is acting within the scope of practice as defined by State law; and
(B) Is under the supervision of the physician.
An individual with experience in long term care is preferred.
(2) The primary physician may not delegate a task when the regulations specify that the primary physician must perform it personally, or when the delegation is prohibited under State law or by the facility's own policies.