38 CFR § 51.42 - Payment procedures.
(a) Forms required -
(1) Forms required at time of admission or enrollment. As a condition for receiving payment of per diem under this part, the State home must submit the forms identified in paragraphs (a)(1)(i) and (ii) of this section to the VA medical center of jurisdiction for each veteran at the time of the veteran's admission to or enrollment in a State home. If the home is not a recognized State home, the home must, after recognition, submit forms for Veterans who received care on and after the date of the completion of the VA survey that provided the basis for determining that the home met the standards of this part. The State home must also submit the appropriate form with any request for a change in the type of per diem paid on behalf of a veteran as a result of a change in the veteran's program of care or a change in the veteran's service-connected disability rating that makes the veteran's care eligible for payment under § 51.41. Copies of VA Forms can be obtained from any VA Medical Center and are available on our website at www.va.gov/vaforms. The required forms are:
(i) A completed VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Medical Benefits (or VA Form 10-10EZR, Health Benefits Renewal Form, if a completed Form 10-10EZ is already on file at VA).
Domiciliary applicants and residents must complete the financial disclosure sections of VA Forms 10-10EZ and 10-10EZR, and adult day health care applicants may be required to complete the financial disclosure sections of these forms in order to enroll with VA. Although the nursing home applicants or residents or adult day health care participants do not complete the financial disclosure sections of VA Forms 10-10EZ and 10-10EZR, an unsigned form is incomplete, and VA will not accept the form.
(ii) A completed VA Form 10-10SH, State Home Program Application for Care - Medical Certification.
(2) Form required for monthly payments. Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(1) and (2) of this section, VA pays per diem on a monthly basis for care provided during the prior month. To receive payment, the State must submit each month to the VA a completed VA Form 10-5588, State Home Report and Statement of Federal Aid Claimed.
(b) Commencement of payments -
(1) Per diem payments for a newly-recognized State home. No per diem payments will be made until VA recognizes the home and each veteran resident for whom VA pays per diem is verified as being eligible; however, per diem payments will be made retroactively for care that was provided on and after the date of the completion of the VA survey that provided the basis for determining that the home met the standards of this part.
(2) Per diem payments for capacity certified under § 51.30(c). Per diem will be paid for the care of veterans in capacity certified in accordance with § 51.30(c) retroactive to the date of the completion of the survey if the Director certifies the capacity as a result of that survey.
(3) Payments for eligible veterans. When a State home admits or enrolls an eligible veteran, VA will pay per diem under this part from the date of receipt of the completed forms required by this section, except that VA will pay per diem from the date care began if the Director receives the completed forms no later than 10 calendar days after care began. VA will make retroactive payments of per diem under paragraphs (b)(1) and (2) of this section only if the Director receives the completed forms that must be submitted under this section.