40 CFR 1501.6 - Cooperating agencies.
The purpose of this section is to emphasize agency cooperation early in the NEPA process. Upon request of the lead agency, any other Federal agency which has jurisdiction by law shall be a cooperating agency. In addition any other Federal agency which has special expertise with respect to any environmental issue, which should be addressed in the statement may be a cooperating agency upon request of the lead agency. An agency may request the lead agency to designate it a cooperating agency.
(a) The lead agency shall:
(1) Request the participation of each cooperating agency in the NEPA process at the earliest possible time.
(2) Use the environmental analysis and proposals of cooperating agencies with jurisdiction by law or special expertise, to the maximum extent possible consistent with its responsibility as lead agency.
(3) Meet with a cooperating agency at the latter's request.
(b) Each cooperating agency shall:
(1) Participate in the NEPA process at the earliest possible time.
(2) Participate in the scoping process (described below in § 1501.7).
(3) Assume on request of the lead agency responsibility for developing information and preparing environmental analyses including portions of the environmental impact statement concerning which the cooperating agency has special expertise.
(4) Make available staff support at the lead agency's request to enhance the latter's interdisciplinary capability.
(5) Normally use its own funds. The lead agency shall, to the extent available funds permit, fund those major activities or analyses it requests from cooperating agencies. Potential lead agencies shall include such funding requirements in their budget requests.
(c) A cooperating agency may in response to a lead agency's request for assistance in preparing the environmental impact statement (described in paragraph (b)(3), (4), or (5) of this section) reply that other program commitments preclude any involvement or the degree of involvement requested in the action that is the subject of the environmental impact statement. A copy of this reply shall be submitted to the Council.
Title 40 published on 09-Jun-2018 05:24
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 1501 after this date.
- 10 CFR 1021.342 — Interagency Cooperation.
- 21 CFR 25.44 — Lead and Cooperating Agencies.
- 24 CFR 58.14 — Interaction With State, Federal and Non-Federal Entities.
- 33 CFR 230.16 — Lead and Cooperating Agencies.
- 36 CFR 1010.16 — Actions to Encourage Agency Cooperation Early in the NEPA Process.
- 40 CFR 1506.5 — Agency Responsibility.
- 40 CFR 1500.5 — Reducing Delay.
- 40 CFR 1508.5 — Cooperating Agency.
- 43 CFR 46.230 — Role of Cooperating Agencies in the NEPA Process.
- 45 CFR 900.107 — Role of Lead and Cooperating Agencies.
- 32 CFR 989.9 — Cooperation and Adoption.