40 CFR 1515.15 - Payment and waiver.
(a) Remittances. Payment shall be made in the form of check or money order made payable to the Treasury of the United States. At the time the FOIA Officer notifies a requester of the applicable fees, the Officer shall inform the requester of where to send the payment.
(b) Waiver of fees. CEQ may waive all or part of any fee provided for in §§ 1515.12 and 1515.13 when the FOIA Officer deems that disclosure of the information is in the general public's interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester. In determining whether a fee should be waived, the FOIA Officer may consider whether:
(1) The subject matter specifically concerns identifiable operations or activities of the government;
(2) The information is already in the public domain;
(3) Disclosure of the information would contribute to the understanding of the public-at-large as opposed to a narrow segment of the population;
(4) Disclosure of the information would significantly enhance the public's understanding of the subject matter;
(5) Disclosure of the information would further a commercial interest of the requester; and
(6) The public's interest is greater than any commercial interest of the requester.