40 CFR 160.3 - Definitions.
As used in this part the following terms shall have the meanings specified:
Application for research or marketing permit means any of the following:
(2) An application for an experimental use permit under FIFRA section 5.
(3) An application for an exemption under FIFRA section 18.
(4) A petition or other request for establishment or modification of a tolerance, for an exemption for the need for a tolerance, or for other clearance under FFDCA section 408.
(7) Any other application, petition, or submission sent to EPA intended to persuade EPA to grant, modify, or leave unmodified a registration or other approval required as a condition of sale or distribution of a pesticide.
Control substance means any chemical substance or mixture, or any other material other than a test substance, feed, or water, that is administered to the test system in the course of a study for the purpose of establishing a basis for comparison with the test substance for known chemical or biological measurements.
EPA means the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Experimental termination date means the last date on which data are collected directly from the study.
FDA means the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Person means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, scientific or academic establishment, government agency or organizational unit thereof, or any other legal entity.
Quality assurance unit means any person or organizational element, except the study director, designated by testing facility management to perform the duties relating to quality assurance of the studies.
Raw data means any laboratory worksheets, records, memoranda, notes, or exact copies thereof, that are the result of original observations and activities of a study and are necessary for the reconstruction and evaluation of the report of that study. In the event that exact transcripts of raw data have been prepared (e.g., tapes which have been transcribed verbatim, dated, and verified accurate by signature), the exact copy or exact transcript may be substituted for the original source as raw data. “Raw data” may include photographs, microfilm or microfiche copies, computer printouts, magnetic media, including dictated observations, and recorded data from automated instruments.
Reference substance means any chemical substance or mixture, or analytical standard, or material other than a test substance, feed, or water, that is administered to or used in analyzing the test system in the course of a study for the purposes of establishing a basis for comparison with the test substance for known chemical or biological measurements.
Specimen means any material derived from a test system for examination or analysis.
Study means any experiment at one of more test sites, in which a test substance is studied in a test system under laboratory conditions or in the environment to determine or help predict its effects, metabolism, product performance (efficacy studies only as required by 40 CFR 158.400 or 161.640, as applicable), environmental and chemical fate, persistence and residue, or other characteristics in humans, other living organisms, or media. The term “study”does not include basic exploratory studies carried out to determine whether a test substance or a test method has any potential utility.
Study completion date means the date the final report is signed by the study director.
Study director means the individual responsible for the overall conduct of a study.
Study initiation date means the date the protocol is signed by the study director.
(1) Is the subject of an application for a research or marketing permit supported by the study, or is the contemplated subject of such an application; or
(2) Is an ingredient, impurity, degradation product, metabolite, or radioactive isotope of a substance described by paragraph (1) of this definition, or some other substance related to a substance described by that paragraph, which is used in the study to assist in characterizing the toxicity, metabolism, or other characteristics of a substance described by that paragraph.
Test system means any animal, plant, microorganism, chemical or physical matrix, including but not limited to soil or water, or subparts thereof, to which the test, control, or reference substance is administered or added for study. “Test system” also includes appropriate groups or components of the system not treated with the test, control, or reference substance.
Testing facility means a person who actually conducts a study, i.e., actually uses the test substance in a test system. “Testing facility” encompasses only those operational units that are being or have been used to conduct studies.
Title 40 published on 10-May-2017 04:28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 160 after this date.