40 CFR 1612.1 - Purpose and scope.
(a) This part sets forth procedures to be followed when requesting material for use in legal proceedings (including administrative proceedings) in which the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB) is not a party, and procedures to be followed by the employee upon receipt of a subpoena, order, or other demand (collectively referred to here as a demand) for such material by a court or other competent authority or by a private litigant. Material, as used in this part, means any type of physical or documentary evidence, including but not limited to paper documents, electronic media, videotapes, audiotapes, etc.
(b) The purposes of this part are to:
(1) Conserve the time of employees for conducting official business;
(2) Minimize the possibility of involving the CSB in controversial issues not related to its mission;
(3) Maintain the impartiality of the CSB among private litigants;
(4) Avoid spending the time and money of the United States for private purposes; and
(5) To protect confidential, sensitive information, and the deliberative processes of the CSB.