40 CFR 230.40 - Sanctuaries and refuges.
(a) Sanctuaries and refuges consist of areas designated under State and Federal laws or local ordinances to be managed principally for the preservation and use of fish and wildlife resources.
(b) Possible loss of values: Sanctuaries and refuges may be affected by discharges of dredged or fill material which will:
(1) Disrupt the breeding, spawning, migratory movements or other critical life requirements of resident or transient fish and wildlife resources;
(2) Create unplanned, easy and incompatible human access to remote aquatic areas;
(3) Create the need for frequent maintenance activity;
(4) Result in the establishment of undesirable competitive species of plants and animals;
(5) Change the balance of water and land areas needed to provide cover, food, and other fish and wildlife habitat requirements in a way that modifies sanctuary or refuge management practices;
(6) Result in any of the other adverse impacts discussed in subparts C and D as they relate to a particular sanctuary or refuge.