§ 273.2 Applicability - batteries.
(a) Batteries covered under 40 CFR part 273.
(1) The requirements of this part apply to persons managing batteries, as described in § 273.9, except those listed in paragraph (b) of this section.
(2) Spent lead-acid batteries which are not managed under 40 CFR part 266, subpart G, are subject to management under this part.
(b) Batteries not covered under 40 CFR part 273. The requirements of this part do not apply to persons managing the following batteries:
(1) Spent lead-acid batteries that are managed under 40 CFR part 266, subpart G.
(2) Batteries, as described in § 273.9, that are not yet wastes under part 261 of this chapter, including those that do not meet the criteria for waste generation in paragraph (c) of this section.
(3) Batteries, as described in § 273.9, that are not hazardous waste. A battery is a hazardous waste if it exhibits one or more of the characteristics identified in part 261, subpart C of this chapter.
(c) Generation of waste batteries.
(1) A used battery becomes a waste on the date it is discarded (e.g., when sent for reclamation).
(2) An unused battery becomes a waste on the date the handler decides to discard it.