40 CFR 420.02 - General definitions.
(r) The term non-process wastewaters means utility wastewaters (for example, water treatment residuals, boiler blowdown, and air pollution control wastewaters from heat recovery equipment); treated or untreated wastewaters from groundwater remediation systems; dewatering water for building foundations; and other wastewater streams not associated with a production process.
(s) The term nitrification means oxidation of ammonium salts to nitrites (via Nitrosomas bacteria) and the further oxidation of nitrite to nitrate via Nitrobacter bacteria. Nitrification can be accomplished in either:
Indicators of nitrification capability are:
(1) Biological monitoring for ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) to determine if the nitrification is occurring; and
(2) Analysis of the nitrogen balance to determine if nitrifying bacteria reduce the amount of ammonia and increase the amount of nitrite and nitrate.
(t) The term storm water from the immediate process area means storm water that comes into contact with process equipment located outdoors, storm water collected in process area and bulk storage tank secondary containment structures, and storm water from wastewater treatment systems located outdoors, provided that it has the potential to become contaminated with process wastewater pollutants for the particular subcategory. Storm water from building roofs, plant roadways, and other storm waters that do not have the potential to become contaminated with process wastewater pollutants are not storm water from the immediate process area.
(u) The term 2,3,7,8-TCDF means 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzofuran.
- 40 CFR 420.15 — Pretreatment Standards for Existing Sources (PSES).
- 40 CFR 420.36 — Pretreatment Standards for New Sources (PSNS).
- 40 CFR 52.2570 — Identification of Plan.
- 40 CFR 420.16 — Pretreatment Standards for New Sources (PSNS).
- 40 CFR 420.25 — Pretreatment Standards for Existing Sources (PSES).
- 40 CFR 420.26 — Pretreatment Standards for New Sources (PSNS).
- 40 CFR 420.08 — Non-Process Wastewater and Storm Water.