40 CFR 63.1595 - List of definitions.
Cover means a device that prevents or reduces air pollutant emissions to the atmosphere by forming a continuous barrier over the waste material managed in a treatment unit. A cover may have openings (such as access hatches, sampling ports, gauge wells) that are necessary for operation, inspection, maintenance, and repair of the treatment unit on which the cover is used. A cover may be a separate piece of equipment which can be detached and removed from the treatment unit, or a cover may be formed by structural features permanently integrated into the design of the treatment unit. The cover and its closure devices must be made of suitable materials that will minimize exposure of the waste material to the atmosphere, to the extent practical, and will maintain the integrity of the cover and its closure devices throughout its intended service life.
(2) Sum the HAP emissions (ΣE);
(4) Calculate the fraction emitted (fe monthly) using fe monthly = ΣE/ΣL.
HAP means hazardous air pollutant(s).
Industrial POTW means a POTW that accepts a waste stream regulated by an industrial NESHAP and provides treatment and controls as an agent for the industrial discharger. The industrial discharger complies with its NESHAP by using the treatment and controls located at the POTW. For example, an industry discharges its benzene-containing waste stream to the POTW for treatment to comply with 40 CFR part 61, Subpart FF - National Emission Standard for Benzene Waste Operations. This definition does not include POTW treating waste streams not specifically regulated under another NESHAP.
Industrial user means a nondomestic source introducing any pollutant or combination of pollutants into a POTW. Industrial users can be commercial or industrial facilities whose wastes enter local sewers.
Publicly owned treatment works (POTW) means a treatment works, as that term is defined by section 112(e)(5) of the Clean Air Act, which is owned by a municipality (as defined by section 502(4) of the Clean Water Act), a State, an intermunicipal or interstate agency, or any department, agency, or instrumentality of the Federal Government. This definition includes any intercepting sewers, outfall sewers, sewage collection systems, pumping, power, and other equipment. The wastewater treated by these facilities is generated by industrial, commercial, and domestic sources. As used in this regulation, the term POTW refers to both any publicly owned treatment works which is owned by a State, municipality, or intermunicipal or interstate agency and therefore eligible to receive grant assistance under the Subchapter II of the Clean Water Act, and any federally owned treatment works as that term is described in section 3023 of the Solid Waste Disposal Act.
(2) It is technologically and economically feasible for the reconstructed source to meet the relevant standard(s) established by the Administrator (or a State) pursuant to section 112 of the Act. Upon reconstruction, an affected source, or a stationary source that becomes an affected source, is subject to relevant standards for new sources, including compliance dates, irrespective of any change in emissions of HAP from that source.
Waste and wastewater means a material, or spent or used water or waste, generated from residential, industrial, commercial, mining, or agricultural operations or from community activities that contain dissolved or suspended matter, and that is discarded, discharged, or is being accumulated, stored, or physically, chemically, thermally, or biologically treated in a publicly owned treatment works.
- 40 CFR 63.1583 — What Are the Emission Points and Control Requirements for an Industrial POTW Treatment Plant?
- 40 CFR 63.1580 — Am I Subject to This Subpart?
- 40 CFR 63.1582 — What Are the Characteristics of an Industrial POTW Treatment Plant?
- 40 CFR 63.1581 — Does the Subpart Distinguish Between Different Types of POTW Treatment Plants?