40 CFR 63.177 - Alternative means of emission limitation: General.
(a) Permission to use an alternative means of emission limitation under section 112(h)(3) of the Act shall be governed by the following procedures in paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section.
(b) Where the standard is an equipment, design, or operational requirement:
(1) Each owner or operator applying for permission to use an alternative means of emission limitation under § 63.6(g) of subpart A of this part shall be responsible for collecting and verifying emission performance test data for an alternative means of emission limitation.
(3) The Administrator may condition the permission on requirements that may be necessary to ensure operation and maintenance to achieve the same emission reduction as the equipment, design, and operational requirements.
(c) Where the standard is a work practice:
(2) For each kind of equipment for which permission is requested, the emission reduction achieved by the required work practices shall be demonstrated for a minimum period of 12 months.
(4) Each owner or operator applying for permission shall commit, in writing, for each kind of equipment to work practices that provide for emission reductions equal to or greater than the emission reductions achieved by the required work practices.
(5) The Administrator will compare the demonstrated emission reduction for the alternative means of emission limitation to the demonstrated emission reduction for the required work practices and will consider the commitment in paragraph (c)(4) of this section.
(6) The Administrator may condition the permission on requirements that may be necessary to ensure operation and maintenance to achieve the same or greater emission reduction as the required work practices of this subpart.
(1) Manufacturers of equipment used to control equipment leaks of an organic HAP may apply to the Administrator for permission for an alternative means of emission limitation that achieves a reduction in emissions of the organic HAP achieved by the equipment, design, and operational requirements of this subpart.
(2) The Administrator will grant permission according to the provisions of paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 63 after this date.
- 40 CFR 63.178 — Alternative Means of Emission Limitation: Batch Processes.
- 40 CFR 63.1363 — Standards for Equipment Leaks.
- 40 CFR 63.11 — Control Device and Work Practice Requirements.
- 40 CFR 63.183 — Implementation and Enforcement.
- 40 CFR 63.1255 — Standards: Equipment Leaks.
- 40 CFR 63.2346 — What Emission Limitations, Operating Limits, and Work Practice Standards Must I Meet?