40 CFR 63.988 - Incinerators, boilers, and process heaters.
(a)Equipment and operating requirements.
(1) Owners or operators using incinerators, boilers, or process heaters to meet a weight-percent emission reduction or parts per million by volume outlet concentration requirement specified in a referencing subpart shall meet the requirements of this section.
(b)Performance test requirements.
(1) Except as specified in § 63.997(b), and paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the owner or operator shall conduct an initial performance test of any incinerator, boiler, or process heater used to comply with the provisions of a referencing subpart and this subpart according to the procedures in § 63.997. Performance test records shall be kept as specified in § 63.998(a)(2) and a performance test report shall be submitted as specified in § 63.999(a)(2). As provided in § 63.985(b)(1), a design evaluation may be used as an alternative to the performance test for storage vessels and low throughput transfer rack controls. As provided in § 63.986(b), no performance test is required for equipment leaks.
(i) A hazardous waste incinerator for which the owner or operator has been issued a final permit under 40 CFR part 270 and complies with the requirements of 40 CFR part 264, subpart O, or has certified compliance with the interim status requirements of 40 CFR part 265, subpart O;
(c)Incinerator, boiler, and process heater monitoring requirements. Where an incinerator, boiler, or process heater is used, a temperature monitoring device capable of providing a continuous record that meets the provisions specified in paragraph (c)(1), (2), or (3) of this section is required. Any boiler or process heater in which all vent streams are introduced with primary fuel or are used as the primary fuel is exempt from monitoring. Monitoring results shall be recorded as specified in § 63.998(b) and (c), as applicable. General requirements for monitoring and continuous parameter monitoring systems are contained in the referencing subpart and § 3.996.
(1) Where an incinerator other than a catalytic incinerator is used, a temperature monitoring device shall be installed in the fire box or in the ductwork immediately downstream of the fire box in a position before any substantial heat exchange occurs.
(3) Where a boiler or process heater of less than 44 megawatts (150 million British thermal units per hour) design heat input capacity is used and the regulated vent stream is not introduced as or with the primary fuel, a temperature monitoring device shall be installed in the fire box.
- 40 CFR 63.998 — Recordkeeping Requirements.
- 40 CFR 63.999 — Notifications and Other Reports.
- 40 CFR 63.996 — General Monitoring Requirements for Control and Recovery Devices.
- 40 CFR 63.985 — Nonflare Control Devices Used to Control Emissions From Storage Vessels and Low Throughput Transfer Racks.
- 40 CFR 63.1103 — Source Category-Specific Applicability, Definitions, and Requirements.
- 40 CFR 63.982 — Requirements.
- 40 CFR 63.2354 — What Performance Tests, Design Evaluations, and Performance Evaluations Must I Conduct?
- 40 CFR 63.2450 — What Are My General Requirements for Complying With This Subpart?
- 40 CFR 63.2853 — How Do I Determine the Actual Solvent Loss?