40 CFR 65.112 - Standards: Compressors.
(b)Seal system standard. Each compressor shall be equipped with a seal system that includes a barrier fluid system and that prevents leakage of process fluid to the atmosphere except as provided in § 65.102(b) and paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section. Each compressor seal system shall meet any one of the following requirements:
(2) Equipped with a barrier fluid system degassing reservoir that is routed to a process or fuel gas system, or connected by a closed vent system to a control device that meets the requirements of § 65.115; or
(3) Equipped with a closed-loop system that purges the barrier fluid directly into a process stream.
(c)Barrier fluid system. The barrier fluid shall not be in light liquid service. Each barrier fluid system shall be equipped with a sensor that will detect failure of the seal system, barrier fluid system, or both. Each sensor shall be observed daily or shall be equipped with an alarm unless the compressor is located within the boundary of an unmanned plant site.
(d)Failure criterion and leak detection.
(1) The owner or operator shall determine, based on design considerations and operating experience, a criterion that indicates failure of the seal system, the barrier fluid system, or both. If the sensor indicates failure of the seal system, the barrier fluid system, or both based on the criterion, a leak is detected and shall be repaired pursuant to § 65.105, as applicable.
(2) The owner or operator shall keep records of the design criteria and an explanation of the design criteria, and any changes to these criteria and the reasons for the changes.
(e)Routed to a process or fuel gas system or equipped with a closed vent system. A compressor is exempt from the requirements of paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section if it is equipped with a system to capture and transport leakage from the compressor drive shaft seal to a process or a fuel gas system or to a closed vent system that captures and transports leakage from the compressor to a control device meeting the requirements of § 65.115.
(f)Alternative compressor standard.
(1) Any compressor that is designated as described in § 65.103(e) shall operate at all times with an instrument reading of less than 500 parts per million. A compressor so designated is exempt from the requirements of paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section if the compressor is demonstrated initially upon designation, annually, and at other times requested by the Administrator to be operating with an instrument reading of less than 500 parts per million as measured by the method specified in § 65.104(b) and (c).
Title 40 published on 09-Jun-2018 05:24
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 65 after this date.