40 CFR 73.35 - Compliance.
(a) Allowance transfer deadline. No allowance shall be deducted for purposes of compliance with an affected source's sulfur dioxide Acid Rain emissions limitation requirements pursuant to title IV of the Act and paragraph (b) of this section unless:
(1) The compliance use date of the allowance is no later than the year in which the source's SO2 emissions occurred; and
(2) The allowance is:
(i) Recorded in the source's compliance account; or
(ii) Transferred to the source's compliance account, with the transfer submitted correctly pursuant to subpart D of this part for recordation in the source's compliance account by not later than the allowance transfer deadline in the calendar year following the year for which compliance is being established; and
(3) The allowance was not previously deducted by the Administrator in accordance with a State SO2 mass emissions reduction program under § 51.124(o) of this chapter or otherwise permanently retired in accordance with § 51.124(p) of this chapter.
(b) Deductions for compliance.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, following the recordation of transfers submitted correctly for recordation in the compliance account pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section and subpart D of this part, the Administrator will deduct allowances available for deduction under paragraph (a) of this section from each affected source's compliance account in accordance with the allowance deduction formula in § 72.95 of this chapter, or, for opt-in sources, the allowance deduction formula in § 74.49 of this chapter, and any correction made under § 72.96 of this chapter.
(2) The Administrator will make deductions until either the number of allowances deducted is equal to the amount calculated in accordance with § 72.95 of this chapter, or, for opt-in sources, in accordance with § 74.49 of this chapter, as modified under § 72.96 of this chapter or until no more allowances available for deduction under paragraph (a) of this section remain in the compliance account.
(1) Identification of allowances by serial number. The authorized account representative for a source's compliance account may request that specific allowances, identified by serial number, in the compliance account be deducted for a calendar year in accordance with paragraph (b) or (d) of this section. Such request shall be submitted to the Administrator by the allowance transfer deadline for the year and include, in a format prescribed by the Administrator, the identification of the source and the appropriate serial numbers.
(2) First-in, first-out. In the absence of an identification or in the case of a partial identification of allowances by serial number, as provided for in paragraph (b)(1) or (d) of this section, the Administrator will deduct allowances on a first-in, first-out (FIFO) accounting basis beginning with those allowances with the earliest compliance use date originally allocated for the units at the source and recorded in the source's compliance account. Following the deduction of all originally allocated allowances from the compliance account, the Administrator will deduct those allowances that were transferred and recorded in the source's compliance account pursuant to subpart D of this part, beginning with those with the earliest date of recordation.
(d) Deductions for excess emissions. Pursuant to § 77.4 of this chapter, and following the process of recordation set forth in § 73.34(a) of this part, the Administrator will deduct allowances for each source with excess emissions for the preceding calendar year in an amount equal to the source's excess emissions tonnage.