42 CFR 412.140 - Participation, data submission, and validation requirements under the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program.
(1) Register on QualityNet.org, before it begins to report data;
(3) Submit a completed Notice of Participation Form to CMS if the hospital is participating in the program for the first time, has previously withdrawn from the program and would like to participate again, or has received a new CMS Certification Number (CCN).
(i) A hospital that would like to participate in the program for the first time (and to which paragraph (a)(3)(ii) of this section does not apply), or that previously withdrew from the program and would now like to participate again, must submit to CMS a completed Notice of Participation Form by December 31 of the calendar year preceding the first quarter of the calendar year in which data submission is required for any given fiscal year.
(ii) A hospital that has received a new CCN and would like to participate in the program must submit a completed Notice of Participation Form to CMS no later than 180 days from the date identified as the open date on the approved CMS Quality Improvement Evaluation System (QIES).
(c)Submission and validation of Hospital IQR Program data.
(1)General rule. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, subsection (d) hospitals that participate in the Hospital IQR Program must submit to CMS data on measures selected under section 1886(b)(3)(B)(viii) of the Act in a form and manner, and at a time, specified by CMS. A hospital must begin submitting data on the first day of the quarter following the date that the hospital submits a completed Notice of Participation form under paragraph (a)(3) of this section.
(2)Exception. Upon request by a hospital, CMS may grant an extension or exemption of one or more data submission deadlines in the event of extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the hospital. Specific requirements for submission of a request for an extension or exemption are available on QualityNet.org.
(d)Validation of Hospital IQR Program data.CMS may validate one or more measures selected under section 1886(b)(3)(B)(viii) of the Act by reviewing patient charts submitted by selected participating hospitals.
(1) Upon written request by CMS or its contractor, a hospital must submit to CMS a sample of patient charts that the hospital used for purposes of data submission under the program. The specific sample that a hospital must submit will be identified in the written request. A hospital must submit the patient charts to CMS or its contractor within 30 days of the date identified on the written request.
(e)Reconsiderations and appeals of Hospital IQR Program decisions.
(1) A hospital may request reconsideration of a decision by CMS that the hospital has not met the requirements of the Hospital IQR Program for a particular fiscal year. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, a hospital must submit a reconsideration request to CMS no later than 30 days from the date identified on the HospitalInpatient Quality Reporting Program Annual Payment Update Notification Letter provided to the hospital.
(2) A reconsideration request must contain the following information:
(ii) The name of the hospital;
(iii) Contact information for the hospital's chief executive officer and QualityNet system administrator, including each individual's name, e-mail address, telephone number, and physical mailing address;
(iv) A summary of the reason(s), as set forth in the HospitalInpatient Quality Reporting Program Annual Payment Update Notification Letter, that CMS concluded the hospital did not meet the requirements of the Hospital IQR Program;
(vii) If the hospital has requested reconsideration on the basis that CMS concluded it did not meet the validation requirement set forth in paragraph (d) of this section, the reconsideration request must contain the following additional information:
(3) A hospital that is dissatisfied with a decision made by CMS on its reconsideration request may file an appeal with the Provider Reimbursement Review Board under part 405, subpart R of this chapter.
(f)Patient experience of care data (HCAHPS survey). HCAHPS is the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey that measures patient experience of care after a recent hospital stay.
(1) Approved HCAHPS survey vendors and self-administering hospitals must fully comply with all HCAHPS oversight activities, including allowing CMS and its HCAHPS Project Team to perform site visits at the hospitals' and survey vendors' company locations.
(2)CMS approves an application for an entity to administer the HCAHPS survey as an approved HCAHPS survey vendor on behalf of one or more hospitals when an applicant has met the Minimum Survey Requirements and Rules of Participation that can be found on the official HCAHPS On-Line Web site, and agree to comply with the current survey administration protocols that can be found on the official HCAHPS On-Line Web site. An entity must be an approved HCAHPS survey vendor in order to administer and submit HCAHPS data to CMS on behalf of one or more hospitals.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 412 after this date.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.