42 CFR 413.17 - Cost to related organizations.
(a)Principle. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, costs applicable to services, facilities, and supplies furnished to the provider by organizations related to the provider by common ownership or control are includable in the allowable cost of the provider at the cost to the related organization. However, such cost must not exceed the price of comparable services, facilities, or supplies that could be purchased elsewhere.
(1)Related to the provider. Related to the provider means that the provider to a significant extent is associated or affiliated with or has control of or is controlled by the organization furnishing the services, facilities, or supplies.
(2)Common ownership. Common ownership exists if an individual or individuals possess significant ownership or equity in the provider and the institution or organization serving the provider.
(3)Control. Control exists if an individual or an organization has the power, directly or indirectly, significantly to influence or direct the actions or policies of an organization or institution.
(1) Individuals and organizations associate with others for various reasons and by various means. Some deem it appropriate to do so to assure a steady flow of supplies or services, to reduce competition, to gain a tax advantage, to extend influence, and for other reasons. These goals may be accomplished by means of ownership or control, by financial assistance, by management assistance, and other ways.
(2) If the provider obtains items of services, facilities, or supplies from an organization, even though it is a separate legal entity, and the organization is owned or controlled by the owner(s) of the provider, in effect the items are obtained from itself. An example would be a corporation building a hospital or a nursing home and then leasing it to another corporation controlled by the owner. Therefore, reimbursable cost should include the costs for these items at the cost to the supplying organization. However, if the price in the open market for comparable services, facilities, or supplies is lower than the cost to the supplier, the allowable cost to the provider may not exceed the market price.
(1) An exception is provided to this general principle if the provider demonstrates by convincing evidence to the satisfaction of the contractor, that -
(i) The supplying organization is a bona fide separate organization;
(ii) A substantial part of its business activity of the type carried on with the provider is transacted with others than the provider and organizations related to the supplier by common ownership or control and there is an open, competitive market for the type of services, facilities, or supplies furnished by the organization;
(iii) The services, facilities, or supplies are those that commonly are obtained by institutions such as the provider from other organizations and are not a basic element of patient care ordinarily furnished directly to patients by such institutions; and
(iv) The charge to the provider is in line with the charge for such services, facilities, or supplies in the open market and no more than the charge made under comparable circumstances to others by the organization for such services, facilities, or supplies.
(2) In such cases, the charge by the supplier to the provider for such services, facilities, or supplies is allowable as cost.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 413 after this date.
- 42 CFR 414.50 — Physician or Other Supplier Billing for Diagnostic Tests Performed or Interpreted by a Physician Who Does Not Share a Practice With the Billing Physician or Other Supplier.
- 42 CFR 413.134 — Depreciation: Allowance for Depreciation Based on Asset Costs.
- 42 CFR 405.1843 — Parties to Proceedings in a Board Appeal.
- 42 CFR 413.20 — Financial Data and Reports.
- 42 CFR 415.102 — Conditions for Fee Schedule Payment for Physician Services to Beneficiaries in Providers.
- 42 CFR 417.536 — Cost Payment Principles.
- 42 CFR 413.130 — Introduction to Capital-Related Costs.
- 42 CFR 415.162 — Determining Payment for Physician Services Furnished to Beneficiaries in Teaching Hospitals.
- 42 CFR 420.301 — Definitions.
- 42 CFR 413.85 — Cost of Approved Nursing and Allied Health Education Activities.
- 42 CFR 405.1815 — Parties to Proceedings Before the Contractor Hearing Officer(s).
- 42 CFR 405.1805 — Parties to Contractor Determination.
- 42 CFR 415.60 — Allocation of Physician Compensation Costs.
- 42 CFR 410.142 — CMS Process for Approving National Accreditation Organizations.
- 42 CFR 412.302 — Introduction to Capital Costs.
- 42 CFR 486.310 — Changes in Control or Ownership or Service Area.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.