42 CFR 421.110 - Requirements for approval of an agreement.
(a) Determine that to do so is consistent with the effective and efficient administration of the Medicare program;
(1) Is willing and able to assist providers in the application of safeguards against unnecessary utilization of services;
(2) Meets all solvency and financial responsibility requirements imposed by the statutes and regulatory authorities of the State or States in which it, or any subcontractor performing some or all of its functions, would serve;
(3) Has the overall resources and experience to administer its responsibilities under the Medicare program and has an existing operational, statistical, and recordkeeping capacity to carry out the additional program responsibilities it proposes to assume. CMS will presume that an intermediary or prospective intermediary meets this requirement if it has at least 5 years experience in paying for or reimbursing the cost of health services;
(4) Will serve a sufficient number of providers to permit a finding of effective and efficient administration. Under this criterion no intermediary or prospective intermediary shall be found to be not efficient or effective solely on the grounds that it serves only providers located in a single State;
(6) Has established a record of integrity and satisfactory service to the public; and