42 CFR 422.156 - Compliance deemed on the basis of accreditation.
(1) The MA organization is fully accredited (and periodically reaccredited) for the standards related to the applicable area under paragraph (b) of this section by a private, national accreditation organization approved by CMS; and
(b)Deemable requirements. The requirements relating to the following areas are deemable:
(1)Quality improvement. The deeming process should focus on evaluating and assessing the overall quality improvement (QI) program. However, the quality improvement projects (QIPs) and the chronic care improvement programs (CCIPs) will be excluded from the deeming process.
(3) Access to services.
(4) Confidentiality and accuracy of enrollee records.
(5) Information on advance directives.
(6) Provider participation rules.
(c)Effective date of deemed status. The date on which the organization is deemed to meet the applicable requirements is the later of the following:
(1) The date on which the accreditation organization is approved by CMS.
(2) The date the MA organization is accredited by the accreditation organization.
(1) Submit to surveys by CMS to validate its accreditation organization's accreditation process; and
(2) Authorize its accreditation organization to release to CMS a copy of its most recent accreditation survey, together with any survey-related information that CMS may require (including corrective action plans and summaries of unmet CMS requirements).
(f)Authority. Nothing in this subpart limits CMS' authority under subparts K and O of this part, including but not limited to, the ability to impose intermediate sanctions, civil money penalties, and terminate a contract with an MA organization.